COMIC Trying to get into the Punisher MAX series...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by BlackMagik55, Feb 13, 2008.

1. BlackMagik55

BlackMagik55 "9 millimetres. I'm never further away than that.

Just decided to pick up volume 1: In the beginning of the Punisher Max series. I just wanted to know since I'm fairly new to all this, is how does the order go in this series? Like are individual issues released, then eventually are compressed to create the volumes? And, I'd also like to know what issues each volume contains, so that if I want to start reading the individual comics, I know which issues I haven't read. Any help sorting all this Marvel confusion would be greatly appreciated.

2. void

void oh yeah?

It's the same in all comics, issues are released in anything from done-in-one arcs (one issue) to many (12+ issues). these arcs are collected into a "trade paperback" format, or TPBs. This term is generic, since I too collect the Punisher MAX "TPBs" but I collect the hardcovers. HC would be the proper term. In this case the punisher max TPBs are 6 issues (one arc) and the hardcovers are 12 issues (two arcs). The bonus about the hardcovers is that they're oversized, but the downside is you have to wait longer for them to come out (doesn't effect me since I buy the individual issues as well).

ANYWAYS, garth ennis puts his punisher max arcs in a 6 issue format, except this last arc, which was only 5 books. Since this upcoming story is his last arc, it may be 7 issues long, or it's a regular 6 issues and his last issue (#60) will be a single story or something. So every 12 issues a new hardcover book is made for punisher max, that contains your two story arcs.

basically, you're starting at the very beginning with vol 1 in the punisher max universe...their's no marvel continuity, it's a self contained world filled with absolutely NO superheroes. So it's like Frank Castle lives in our real world, except it's impossible to kill the fucker.

3. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

amazing series, you'll love it

4. BlackMagik55

Just finished reading vol. 1, I thought it was amazing, and definitely left me excited to pick up the next volume :bowdown: . So you said they release it in single issues, how often? Is it monthly? And what is it up to at this point? Are there going to be anymore after issue 60? Sorry for the noobnes, just getting into comic books in general. Can't believe after all this time I haden't read any comics until now.

5. void

void oh yeah?

it's monthly for the most part, but it's been late the last 5 issues which was probably due to the artist. it's on issue 54 right now, and garth ennis is leaving the title after issue 60, so is tim bradstreet (the cover artist).

6. BlackMagik55

:wtc: Will there be replacements?

7. void

void oh yeah?

yes, if you can still find it, check out the punisher max annual written by mike benson. he'll be taking over after garth leaves...sad i know, but he does a good job (and he doesn't even really use the punisher, more of an "in the eyes of a criminal" sort of idea).

8. Gauntlet04

Gauntlet04 The Light

Punisher Max Marvel is fucking awesome. One of my favorite titles. It's consistently good, although some arcs definitely outshine some others. A few examples are Up is Down, Black is White, Mother Russia, and both Barracuda arcs.