MMA Trying to get into Muay thai or another type of figting sport

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Crazyjester24, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

i have been wanting to do this for about a year and found a place about an hour and 30 min away but due to school i couldnt fit it into my schedule now im in cc and have more time on my hands.a liitle background on me, I did judo for 2 years when i was about 10 or so and i liked it but i feel i was too young for it, i have also tried boxing but never got that interested. i was a distance swimmer in high school so im in pretty good shape, i lift but have been slacking lately due to lack of motivation (just feel that im lifting for no real reason other than to get bigger and thats not enough for me) i really want to do this so i have something to do besides sitting at home and doing nothing, if you guys could tell me a little bit about the training and what the sport is like i would be grateful

cliffs:i want to try muay thai or another fighting sport, i am looking around for something to get into and need suggestions

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

if you didnt like boxing.. im not too sure you would like muay thai. i dont train muay thai so i cant tell you too much about it besides the obvious

3. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

i liked boxing but i felt restricted because i couldnt use my lower body...i had a good time while i trained in it but i wanted something more

4. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

Go for it, I did it this summer and got hooked. What do you want to know?

5. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

whats the training like and how do you learn moves and do you spar alot?

6. teep

teep New Member

Muay thai is a great fun sport. Be prepared though, because if you go to a legit gym you have to be able to take some punishment. Conditioning your shins, and doing alot of clinch work can get you really sore especially if you're not used to working those muscles. My advice is get your conditioning up so it doesn't inhibit your learning, get in plenty of stretching, and maybe check out a muay thai instructional/fight before you go. Make sure it's something you think you will like. Traditional muay thai is alot different than MMA striking. Good luck with everything.

EDIT: At first they'll probably take you and whoever else is new to the side to work on basic stance, jab, cross, elbow, teep, etc. You'll probably just hit some pads and do conditioning with everyone else at the end. After a couple sessions you'll work with everyone else. Muay thai training usually consists of jump roping and stretching to warm up, rounds of shadow boxing, pads, heavy bag, sparring, then conditioning at the end.

7. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

ahh that sounds like fun i think the hardest for me will be the shin conditioning any suggestions for how i can get more used to it?

edit: what are some good exercises that i can do at home to help prepare for the classes?

8. teep

teep New Member

For conditioning your shins just hit the bag. Don't do any of that smacking it with a 2x4 or whatever. Make sure you ice them too if they start hurting. As for exercises to prepare for classes...like I said keep up your conditioning, do some shadow boxing, and try and work on your stance. Keep 75% of your weight on your back leg and keep your lead leg light (most fighters tend to bounce it lightly up and down) to check kicks. Look at my AV haha. Don't keep your arms out like that guy though. Also since you did some boxing keep in mind you don't want to be ducking and weaving and lowering your level. That will only lead to a shin or knee across the face.

9. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

well conditioning wise im not in bad shape..i think..im 5'7'' 155-160 and like 13-14% bf...im not the strongest person in the world but i can bench my weight so i figure thats good and after doing 2 years of distance swimming my shoulders are used to some punishment but i cant tell if thats up to par with guys doing muay thai or not any idea?

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I don't feel that it's a huge issue as long as you're willing to push yourself. Your shins will be black and blue your first few weeks but that's normal. As far as training goes I feel that muay thai is the most hard core style. But be sure to do their actual program and not just mess around on your own, because the guys who come in to self train don't train half as hard as I do.

11. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

about the hard shins, i heard natives used to slam their shins with sticks and kick trees to break bones that grow back stronger.

pretty hardcore :o

12. Shrug

i dont think you need to be up to par with anyone if youre just going to train for fun. Most gyms accept anyone, big, small, strong weak and any age.

13. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

im not training for fun i want to do this as a sport so i want to try and be as in shape as possible before starting..i have a heavy bag and was starting to really work on my shins so that im used to the pain and know what to expect when i start

14. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

Actually, their secret is to just keep kicking, conditioning comes with time. When you start at 5 years old, you don't need to do anything special to get tough shins.

15. Shrug

i got shin splints in highschool from doing jump boxes :(

goodtimes!

16. teep

teep New Member

Nobody does that

Edit: You might want to take it easy on kicking the heavy bag. If you do it too much without proper instruction you're just going to develop bad habits that will be harder to quit. Even a simple round house kick that sounds so simple on paper is hard to learn to execute properly. Don't worry about your shins. They won't have you doing anything that will hurt you. Just get your conditioning up and work on strengthening your core. For the heavy bag, I'd suggest just working your hands until you actually get some muay thai experience. Do alot of rounds of jump rope too. Also this is just my opinion, but I'd say instead of worrying about getting ready just to go to the gym, just go and get in shape, get the experience there. Everyone was new at one point and it's more than likely the trainers will be super friendly and want to see you do well.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  17. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

It's also going to depend on the place you go to. Call them up and ask them what it's like. At my gym they let you go one time for free to try it out.

Otherwise...good advice in this thread.

18. padrino2k

padrino2k New Member

I broke my femur against a lightpole while on a motorcycle... it's now filled with titanium and I guarantee it's not breaking again...:coolugh:

Seriously though, my coach has a tree that he wrapped padding around, and I'll usually spend a 3 minute round kicking it once a week.:ugh2: Throwing kicks against a bag (once you've been traine) will be beneficial.

Aside from that, I agree with just about everything Shooto said. Keep in mind that head movement can be great for kickboxing, but you can't afford to exaggerate it like you can in boxing unless you want to look like Babalu vs. Chuck 1. The movement needs to be as minimal as possible, but slipping or dodging/weaving can still work wonders, especially against brawlers. Just remember to finish a nice combo/flurry with a good leg-kick (or two)! :bigthumb:

BTW, Shooto, how long have you been training for?

19. teep

teep New Member

I only started muay thai two years ago. I caught on pretty fast because I had some great people helping me out. I was sooo lucky. When I first started I met this guy who I now see as my older brother who is such a great trainer. He's a bit older (older than me at least) so this was a while ago, but as soon as he graduated from high school he flew out to California and tried out for and made the Lion's Den team (back when it was reputable and had top fighters). He then lived in Holland for a year where he trained with Remy Bojansky for 6 hours a day. So having a guy like that to hang out with and give you private lessons for as long as you want does wonders for your game. I also spent a month training in Thailand last Winter, which really gave me a good grasp of traditional muay thai. Muay thai is sort of on the back burner for me right now though. I've been doing alot more wrestling and boxing.

20. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

I just had sparring today with the instructor and got my ass rocked. Sparring is very different from hitting a bag or muay thai pads. I'm fucking pissed and feel worthless.

21. Shrug

if you feelworthless because an instructor beat you after only a few months of doing it then you pretty much are.

22. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

i wouldnt be suprised...your instructors been doing this for a long time and you have been doing this for a few months, so its to be expected that you lose

23. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

It's normal to feel like that after your first few sparring sessions. You're going to get your ass kicked, no doubt, but the most important thing is that you learn. Go in there not to fight but to work on your technique, including defense. I saw a vid where Mike Tyson got knocked out while sparring. Everyone gets beat up.

24. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

Thanks for the support. I'm just pissed at myself cause I played defensive and just got overwhelmed by punches and kicks to the leg. Definetly learned to keep my hands up that's for sure. I'm much shorter than my instructor so I really wanted to get inside and get him in a clinch, but he was too quick for it.

I see it as a good thing that I get pissed off about the spar, I learn faster that way and am more motivated.

Anyways, it was a great learning experience and hope to do it much more often.

25. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

It's not like I expected to go toe to toe with the guy, he's a competitive middleweight Muay Thai fighter. I just wish I was smarter during the sparring. Like I didn't think very well about counter punches and kicks, and I need to work on much better combos to stand a chance.