A&P Trying to get better with my DSLR, lend me your opinions...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Perfect Speed, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed OT Supporter

Please try and help, honest feedback with minimal flaming appreciated.
    Ok I did manage to take like 20 quick pics before I got rained on (keep in mind it was overcast outside), I tossed the ones I didn't like and I have these, which some of I don't like but I want feedback on why I shouldn't/or perhaps should like them. No processing done and I will have a couple of questions about it...

I numbered the pics, tell me what you think number by number

Underexposed/too dark - Looks to be in good focus tho (focus was on the front corner of the car) - Lights should be off I know - Could pshop brighten this up a bit?
    [​IMG]

Focus looks ok to me, however the car shouldn't take up the ENTIRE field of view should it?
    [​IMG]

Looks like focus might be a little more towards the ground right in front of the car and not the car - tell me what you think. However I think the lighting works ok
    [​IMG]

Same stuff - moved up a little on focus - think this photo better or worse than the last?
    [​IMG]

I think this is probably the best shot of the set, I like the composition, the lighting and the focus... what do you think?
    [​IMG]

This is when I started playing with fstops and such... I like how the texture gets richer but I think its a little too dark - photoshop could help this right?
    [​IMG]

Same idea but close to the car...
    [​IMG]

Not in focus, I don't think I could get far enough back in the seat to do it properly...
    [​IMG]

2. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Depth of field, focus, and proper exposure, all of the photos lack that.

also, simply;y using rule of thirds may help, that or fill the frame

3. hootpie

hootpie New Member

#7 is the best there. Hop onto Flickr and browse pictures of cars like the ones you're taking. Save the ones you like and look for commonalities between them. Once you see what they have in common, try to recreate that in your own shots.

4. Bukka

Bukka Active Member

For learning I'd just switch the camera to manual mode, and play with it from there.

Not sure if you're using AV, TV or what, but neither of those modes is going to help you understand the relationship between aperture, ISO, and shutter speeds.

After getting an understanding you can dive into those semi-automatic modes, and get good exposures by being able to see how much to compensate exposures by.

5. dew

dew Banned

6 & 7 are the only decent shots.

Try getting interesting angles

6. horselover fat

horselover fat in your driveway stealing your internet

might need to work on your dof

it looks to me that with what ur settings were that you needed to be about 3 or 4 feet closer to the car to a sharper picture or adjust ur camera settings
    refering to picture 6

7. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

:werd: I started with this and still do this to this day. I browse OTAP POTN, Google Images, etc. for pictures that I like and try and emulate the composition & PP. It certainly helps when you're working on something that has a limited time (like a model shoot) I always have a separate folder in the work folder for "source material" that I can have some images i've picked that I want to try with the model

8. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

not to mention the mass pelf you got goin on.