COMIC Trying to figure out which anime movie (OLD) this is...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by georgexi, Jul 18, 2005.

1. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

Hey guys. I saw an anime movie a long time ago back when I was in elementary school and I'm trying to figure out the name of the movie.

This was way back in 1987 so its a really old movie and I only remember a few brief parts of it. I know there were cyborgs in it. I remember one scene of a boy (one of the main characters) screaming/crying while holding some snow in his hands... there was blood in the snow (I dont think it was his... his mother maybe?) He vowed when he got older to have cyborg implants put in him so he could get revenge. There was also some kind of "space train" that travels between planets. It starts off on tracks and then flies off the track and into space. Also near the end of the movie a planet is destroyed. Also the boy is kissed (on the mouth) by an older girl/woman at some point later in the movie. Any of those clues ring a bell to any of you? :)

Now that I think of it this movie was pretty violent with blood in it. Definitely wasnt appropriate for little kids! I bet the teacher wanted to show a video to us and said "hey this is a cartoon.. lets watch this" and put it on without knowing any better.

2. seven

seven New Member

hm...i have no idea. sorries.

3. JP

JP Active Member

sounds like the galaxy express 999 movie?

4. georgexi

Whoa you are awesome! Did a quick search on google and found this :)

It was an age where technology had progressed to the point that the elite could trade in their human bodies for machine bodies (and with them, immortality). Those who became machines began to despise and look down on the true humans, and one (Count Mecha) took up hunting humans for a sport.

Tetsuro's mother was the victim of just such a hunt. After that, the boy Tetsuro swore that he would avenge the death of his mother, and he knew of a way. If he could board the Galaxy Express 999 (aka three-nine), he could ride it to Andromeda, where they gave machine bodies for free. For he next several years, he lived with the orphans in the slums of Megalopolis City, waiting for his chance.

His chance comes. He steals a pass! But then, the police are after him. He is almost caught, but a strange woman (who strangely looked like his late mother) saved him.

Her name is Maetel, and right away, Tetsuro sees something strange about her besides her appearance. She makes him an offer. She'll give back his pass if he takes her with him. He gladly agrees, and this begins one of the greatest adventures both in the galaxy and in the heart.

[​IMG]Both the movie and the TV series follow this strange pair as they ride the galactic rails and meet the many unusual people along the way. These strange visits ultimately cause Tetsuro to redefine his goal. For he sees in those machine bodies that which humans wish to avoid: greed, cruelty, or sadness. He realizes that it's the machine body that robs a person from his or her time limit, and that is what drives humanity into accomplishing what it does in such a limited lifespan. It is then that he vows to rid the universe of the accursed machine body that steals souls. Their journey finally reaches Tetsuro's goal: Andromeda. It is there that Tetsuro discovers Maetel's dark secret. She is really the heiress to Queen Proethea's machine empire (the planet is named after her)! However, Maetel herself was hiding a secret from her mother: her father! He (embodied in energy in Maetel's pendant) had conspired under Promethea's nose (with Maetel helping) to destroy Andromeda. Though Maetel hesitates, Tetsuro seizes the chance. He helps Maetel get back on the Galaxy Express, and they escape to watch planet Maetel collapse.

5. JP

JP Active Member

I have maetel legend on dvd, and have always wanted to see the galaxy express 999 series. :)

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I've seen this anime , it was quite pleasant but its a hella long time ago , both that train and that planet with those weird beings where sooo uberstrange.

7. georgexi

I did a brief search online for a vhs/dvd copy of the movie but couldnt find it anywhere... not even ebay. I was able to find the series on torrentspy though. No luck on the movie version :(

8. Cdiesel

Cdiesel OT Supporter

9. georgexi

I downloaded and watched it. That was definitely it! Thanks! :)

Kinda weird watching it again after 18 years and remembering bits and pieces of the movie here and there.