Trying to figure out home audio...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cybermoose-, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Cybermoose-

Cybermoose- Champions bleed scarlet and grey.

So I'm looking at Axiom M80ti's ( :x: hopefully...M60s otherwise). Right now I'm planning on just running a simple stereo setup, depending on the speakers after I get them I mightadd a sub, but I don't think I'd need it with those speakers, at least not immediately. 042801 suggested around $400 for a receiver ...I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V1300, seemed like that was somewhere around that price range. Read alot of good things on www.audioreview.com. Anything else I should be looking at? Maybe a separate amp? I looked into that a bit too, was thinking about an Adcom 5400 (forget the exact model number).

:dunno: I'm new to all this. Budget's between 2-3 grand (but the cheaper the better, keep in mind I'm about to turn 21 and the bars are going to drain my wallet with a quickness :naughty: ).

2. 04

04 Guest

You could look into a seperate preamplifier/amplifier combination, but that would be a lot of money, and you would probably want a 5 channel model. That right there will probably cost 2 grand alone, from what I have seen.

However, you could get an Outlaw audio 950 surround preamp for 800 dollars, or the Adcom GTP-830 for 1000 dollars, and then buy a amplifier like mine for 300 to 400 or so. It would put out more power than any reciever in that price range. Then buy another 2 channel amplifier later when you upgrade to surround. But I would still reccomend a receiver, because any unit in the 300 to 400 dollar price range will do at least 100 watts x 2, and that should be plenty for those speakers.

You are still wanting surround sound later, right?

3. Cybermoose-

Cybermoose- Champions bleed scarlet and grey.

Most likely. Right now I don't have much in the way of an actual TV in my room (DVD player through the computer, and a TV card) but I'm looking towards the future - I've got all this money burning a hole in my pocket now and instead of purchasing stupid shirts and endless cases of Natty Light, I might as well get started on a home system, as audio stuff is something I'm really interested in. Basically I'm saying I don't have a need for surround right now, just something to listen to CDs and whatever movies I'm watching off my computer with some beautiful sound.

Plus my car's spoiling me. I got my Dynaudio's in about a month ago and they still surprise me. I want that type of clarity, accuracy and balace in my room, now. :)

4. KDubb

KDubb everyday I'm hustlin'

did you get the Axiom's ?

do you like them ?

5. Yamaha tends to way overrate their power ratings...

So what do you need?
    2 speakers (the axioms..) You seem to have these picked out.
    5-7.1 Receiver? Harmon Kardon, Onyko, Denon, Marantz, etc..
    Sub, look at SVS and HSU research