Trying to figure out a color pallet

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DMClark, Feb 6, 2007.

1. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

I'm donating some time over the next few months to the local Foster Program here. They are in a bind with having only 30 some families but over 100 kids in need of foster assistance. Their main drawback is they have no web presence what-so-ever to get information out or attract any new families.

So that would be where I come in. Luckily they already know what they want on the site, and it is actually a good bit of information and very informative as well. After reading over I actually have a good idea of what they do, after not knowing much about the foster program before being paired with them.

My dilemma comes in with the design of the site. I've been doing a lot of research of usability and with this site I'll be dealing with a core audience completely different than what I usually deal with. With most of the users knowing their ways around computer and the web. Where here I'm focusing completely on usability and the lowest common denominator, which could be someone using the internet for the first time.

So I usually I do dark sites and such with blacks and blue and red...

Cannot do that this time. I'm thinking a lighter site with sort of earthy tones, though that is just a though as I have just been doing research. I'm looking for any good resources on color picking... I've seen one site that offered a good tool for helping pick colors, but it was very basic and I no longer have the link.

Have there been any studies on users reactions to certain colors used on sites yet? I know there have been tons of studies on other minuscule things, but not sure about general color use. Anyone know any good resources based on this or something like it?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

3. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

I found a few on google, but not that one, wasn't searching for pastels.

That one is helpful though, I wasn't thinking about using it for organization as the site says, but after using some examples, that could be great for the people who may have never used the internet before.