MIL Trying to enlist, simple question, does the military get into your medical history?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Skinny Pimp, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Skinny Pimp

Skinny Pimp OK

Without getting into details there is some medical history I have that could pretty much keep me from being accepted into the Army/AF/Navy. I am looking at all 3 right now. I have gone through the process with the AF already and have to take the ASVAB here in a few weeks, but I have been told to go ahead and look into the army because its easier to get into.

When I was going down the list putting "Yes" or "No" for "broken bones?" or "seeing a counselor?" and that sort of thing, my recruiter said "do you have broken bones now? are you seeing a counselor now? ok, then put no." So I am assuming that they aren't going to dig into your medical history. The recruiter said the best 3 answers to use at MEPS are "No, Never, Not at all."

So if they ask me if I am currently seeing a counselor, I should say no, and keep it at that? :o

2. blueshirt

blueshirt Member

After you take the ASVAB you go through a full medical exam. I don't know if they dig into your medical history though.

They'll keep telling you that if you lie about something you'll get in big trouble but that's bullshit.

3. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Falsifying information on an enlistment contract is bullshit?

4. teabagn

teabagn New Member

lol srsly

The best thing my recruiter told me before MEPS was "your medical history with the military starts tomorrow, if you are currently healthy as a horse, thats all they need to know."

However some things need to be disclosed, I was fortunate though, I had no real medical problems except for slightly high BP, but thats really no biggie.

5. Skinny Pimp

Skinny Pimp OK

im talking more like counselors. some other shit I dont care to get into because I figure it'll start drama in the thread. I've never been arrested, they know my credit sucks, they know my driving record sucks. but when i told the recruiter of my "accidental overdose" he just said "it did'nt happen."

:dunno:

6. Julius

Julius Guest

your recruiter is expediting your recruitment process. waivers suck dick. nobody will know if you saw a counselor. that's private medical information.

the only time that information will be pursued is when something comes up that encourages it.

ie. you have an asthma attack that wasn't listed as a medical condition and you nearly die. the military then has a probably cause to research your medical history.

7. Skinny Pimp

Skinny Pimp OK

I understand your point. It was a one time thing. But regardless of that, I still get where you're coming from. And no asthma or anything like that. I was honest with the rest of the paperwork I filled out today.

8. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

your medical information prior to joining the army is confidential, unless you specifically agree to release it then they cannot look at it, nor can they order you or bully you into releasing it afterwards. even if you plan on getting a TS clearance they can't pull your records.

i just wouldn't worry about it.

9. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

laws are laws.....

10. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

I lol at people who can't figure that out, admit petty shit, and get themselves DQ'd

11. Skinny Pimp

Skinny Pimp OK

I've figured out my best bet is to just look to getting into a job that no security clearances are required. i didnt score high on the ASVAB in the first place so the likely hood of my qualifying for a great job in the first place that would require a confidential or better is slim. I wrote down about 30 jobs that I can do that dont require a clearance and about 70% of them lead to a pretty good post career after the army.

the only thing i am concerned with is I put that I had my tonsils removed in may of 2008 and it seems that they can request my medical history because of this alone. im tempted to ask my recruiter "listen, i dont want my medical records on any level made noticeable to the military/dod, let me re-fill out the information regarding it." the recruiters also know of my acne medication that i take and said to just stop taking it right now.

at the same time, i still do get sinus issues and the coughs from time to time. if all they want are THOSE specific records from THAT instance of me getting my tonsils removed, i'll do it. If its not a "10 year medical history" than I am down, i'll show them, and they know whats up. Even then, I don't want to take my chances.

12. Skinny Pimp

Skinny Pimp OK

what sucks is if i ask the recruiter i know what his/her answer is goin to be. reading military.com/forums makes it seem like no matter what, the DoD/FBI/Military will find out about my attempts.

at this point im desperate enough to try. but still....:noes:

But honestly, next question. Should I mark down that I had my tonsils taken out? I've read people get sick left and right and if I get sicker than the average person I really dont want it to bite me in the ass. If I have to get a simple waiver for this I will. But I have sinus problems and I dont want something simple like that biting me in the ass.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  13. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

Unless you're hiding something really messed up that you aren't telling us about it doesn't sound like anything you have in your past is not waiverable. Just tell your recruiter you want to be honest and go through the waiver proccess, if he makes a fuss about it ask to talk to his superviser (SNCOIC) or the OIC and let them know whats up.

You don't want to enlist with a shady background, you'll be pissed at yourself later if you decide you like the lifestyle and want to move into a different field that requires a more thorough background check or even worse if something comes up that causes them to need to investigate.

If you really want to enlist start it of honest.

14. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

It's non-punitive.

15. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Never knew that. :)

16. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

annnd of course they would never find out if you keep your mouth shut...so if you are intelligent then they will never find out

17. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

I signed all sorts of shit saying they could look at hospital records, etc.

18. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

So... what... are they gonna do a sweep of every hospital/doctors office/physical therapy center in my home state to figure out if someone was, for instance, treated for athsma as a child? Or broke a leg when they were 10?

Sounds like a waste of time, especially if they're running through hundreds of security clearance applications.

19. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

I'm just saying they can look at it if they want to. Its never 'private'.