Trying to do pullovers but can`t

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Silmatharien, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

I was trying to do pullovers today at the gym by just lying down on the bench. However, when I bring my arms back and try to go parallel with the bench, I seem to get a lot of pain on the outer part of my arms. I`m not sure why this is since I have no problem whatsoever putting my arms parallel with my body, above my head. I`m not sure what I`m doing wrong here .... Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what I can do differently?

2. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

I feel a stretch when I do them, but not pain. I would suggest slightly bending your elbow to take some pressure off your ligaments, muscles, and joints.

3. Sgt. Dignam

Sgt. Dignam Guest

try lowering the weight, finding your range of motion and what feels comfortable to you without compromising the movement.

are you laying on the bench or across the bench?

4. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I only do pullovers with a straight bar on the cable stock now because db pullovers rape my shoulders.

I think the pullover is a much overrated lift anyway...

5. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

I've been lying on the bench ... perhaps I'm just trying to stretch too far. I asked one of the trainers at the gym today and that's what she seemed to think.

6. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

Why don't you just use a pull over machine?

7. Sgt. Dignam

Sgt. Dignam Guest

try laying across the bench, puttin your shoulder blades on the back edge and doing it that way. Control the weight just past you head and don't bring it past your chin/neck area.

you might also be going too heavy.

8. Sgt. Dignam

Sgt. Dignam Guest

if hitting your serratus was an issue you can use the lat pull down machine and do it that way.

Keeping your arms extended all the way out with a slight bend in the elbow you bring your hands down as far as you can and repeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.