Trying to devise a weight gain routine...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by CaseLogic, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaseLogic

CaseLogic Longhorns - Mavs - Cowboys - Tool - 24 - Lost - Th

Okay so I'm pretty new and dumb when it comes to working out, but I've been reading up on the archives here for the past couple weeks. My main goal is to just put on some weight, and obviously muscle's the way to go. Right now I'm ~120lbs at 5'7", so I'm a pretty skinny bastard :hs: I'm tryin to eat as many calories I can right now, and I'm tryin to cram as much protein as I can into my diet (1g per lb right?), so I have this protein shake, I bought some tuna, and I eat eggs most mornings.

Unfortunately there's no gym close to me, but I have this bench where I can benchpress, do a few leg exercises, pulldowns, and there's dumbbells for practically everything else. I'm not that sure on how to structure my routine, since really the only thing I have to work with is the fact that you need to give the muscles you worked out with about a day to recover. So I just decided that I'd work my upper body (minus abs) one day, lower body/abs the second day, and just keep alternating and going at it. :coold:

My main concern is that my workout will kind of negate the extra calories I'm trying to pull in, making weight gain even harder (especially since exercise increases my metabolism even more). Do you guys have any advice as far as makin sure I pull in those pounds (I wanna try and gain ~15 lbs by the end of August, is that too high of a goal?), and any advice for my current workout? Anything would be appreciated, thanks! :bigthumb:

2. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

eat 2-3 times more

3. pt

pt New Member

That's very hard to believe.

4. CaseLogic

Edit: No gym close to me that I can readily afford with my current $0 income, is that better? :hsd:

5. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

*fixed*

6. CaseLogic

Anyone have anything else to add? :x:

7. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

box of Kraft Macaroni and cheese everyday
    Optimum Nutrition Serious MAss weight gainer from 1fast400.com

count your calories and get 4000+ everyday

8. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

sure but until you get the money to goto a gym you're not really going to make all that much progress.

9. one.nine

one.nine OT Supporter

Just eat, eat, and then eat some more. I was exactly in your shoes just a year or so ago - starting at this exact same time. It's not unrealistic to expect a gain of 2 or 3lbs a week, so your goal of 15lbs is possible. As far as having no gym, don't listen to all the 'No gym = No progress' you can work out with free weights and stay in above-average shape. They have the mentality that everyone wants to be a bodybuilder when really it sounds like you just want to be a healthy weight and in good shape.

If you can, try keeping track of your calories at FitDay.com... Not really because it matters what food you eat or what amount of anything you're getting, but just to help you judge if you're getting enough calories or not. I'd probably aim for 4000 calories a day if I was you, realistically (That's what I did anyway)

Good luck and start eating. :bigthumb:

10. CaseLogic

11. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

You can buy weight gainer, but you can't pay like 20 dollars to go to a YMCA? :wtf:

12. CaseLogic

It's easier for me to justify spending $30 for calories than it is to spend $30 for gym fees when I already have a bunch of dumbbells and stuff at my house :dunno: Plus gas costs getting to the gym, because the closest respectable gym is in the downtown area, about ~30 mins away :hs: And no offense, but if you aren't gonna provide something useful to this thread, then I'd prefer you just not respond at all :dunno:

13. Riot

Riot OT Supporter

gym >

14. quickone

quickone New Member

go with the n-large 2...good shit

15. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh :o you are gonna get raped

I've been eating like a mother fucker and I swim everyday, I rarely see improvements. You need a gym to get serious, only serious routines lead to muscle mass improvements.

16. CaseLogic

I'm lookin forward to it :x:

What I'm so confused about is, call me naive, but I don't see how a dumbbell work out is any different from going to the gym - I mean I can see how a gym could be overall better because it has all the different setups for all the different muscles - but to me, it seems like weights are weights, whether they're at the gym or in my room :dunno: Don't they all work your muscles the same, or relatively similarly?

17. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

NLarge2 is good too, I think Is witched from that to ON because it was cheaper or something.

What do your DB's go up to? I doubt you have anything past a 60lb DB, a gym would have that.

18. CaseLogic

I have about 120 lbs worth of plates that can attach to the dumbbells, and let me reiterate the fact that I'm 120lbs, so I won't need anything higher than that :hsd:

19. Riot

Riot OT Supporter

20. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

do lunges and squats for legs, you can probably do deads with the dumbells as well to a degree. You will quickly and easily outgrow those though.

21. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Are you not in Austin? Gregory is an amazing gym.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.