Trying to decide on a new workout routine

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Dr. Zoidberg, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Zoidberg

Dr. Zoidberg the lovable tramp

There's a lot of stuff I want to do with my body.. as follows:
    1) lose this extra fat... i look like hell
    2) gain some muscle - always a plus, and i'm not as big as i used to be :(
    3) increase speed - i miss being fast..i want to get into some sports again, and sprinting is a plus in everything. not to mention i know i'm capable of being fast :hs:

my question is about how i should do this. I'm thinking I need to add some muscle before I cut the fat.. That should be easier, right?
    What should my weight training be like? Go for power in the legs and growth in the upper body (will this work?) What sort of workout? I did the Max OT thing that was big last year... 12 weeks of that, and i kinda got discouraged with the results. I need some guidance here, because everyone I've ever trained with has told me different things. So, let's hear some suggestions, please :o

2. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

I would suggest trying to lose fat before putting on muscle. Reason for this is aerobic exercise will strengthen your muscles and joints, allowing for maximum results and efficiency once you begin weight training. It will also reduce injuries that may be likely once you begin hitting the weights again. How long you should do aerobic exercise before hitting the weights again depends on how long it's been since you've been in decent shape. The longer it's been since you've last worked out consistently, the longer you need to focus on aerobic exercise.

If you want to regain your speed, I suggest sprinting hills. This is one of my favorite things to do when the weather is nice. Running on a treadmill with a steep incline will also help. If you really want to burn your legs and regain your speed, put on some ankle weights and run hills/treadmill with incline. Lifting will not make you faster.

3. Dr. Zoidberg

I was thinking it's easier to gain muscle when you're heavier :dunno: plus the weather sucks now, so i can't go outside and do any running on the track or hills now (i have this great hill i've been running since i was in 6th grade :cool: )

i feel treadmills are completely worthless... i don't use them.

and I think the reason i'm slower now is because i'm heavier, and missing some of the strength i had. Once i get back into it, i know all the speed drills, and i'll probably do some stretch band training.

4. Dr. Zoidberg

that's what i figured..

i'd still have enough to cut down to... just because i haven't been lifting doesn't mean i don't have my pushups and crap :hs:

now what should i do in the weight room :noes: that's what i'm worried about

5. Dr. Zoidberg

:hsd: i still don't know what i'm doing

6. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Then you should say why it's such bad advice. For people that haven't worked out consistently for a long time, jumping into weight training leaves them prone to various types of injuries. Also, a lot of n00bs want to see results in the shortest amount of time. Building muscle underneath fat doesn't exactly do that.

My advice is not quite really, really, really stupid. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. Drewski

Drewski New Member

most newb injuries are caused by bad form, usually in combination with going to heavy. if they start light with perfect form, the chances of injury are about the same as everybody else.

if a newb starts weigth training in conjuncture with with aerobic and anaerobic training they will be able to keep lean mass and maybe gain some if they are true newbs to lifting. that lean mass will help them burn more calories and lose fat faster.

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

9. Drewski

Drewski New Member

10. Drewski

Drewski New Member

wrong

you can do both while on roids.

Note: I am NOT, nor would I ever, suggest that

11. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Go back and read what I posted. I suggested exclusive cardio only for a short period of time. In my experience with n00bs in the past, they'll lift weights once or twice, hop on the scale, not see any weight loss or results, then quit. Cardio releases endorphins which physiologically makes the person feel positive about the workout. Only after a period of immediately rewarding exercise will they be prepared for that which isn't so obviously beneficial.

My advice is based much on the mental aspect of starting a new routine, but it has physical benefits as well. Those have been stated here.

12. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Because some people (most n00bs) can't or won't kill two.

13. bigbadben

bigbadben I rule you

That's a dedication/work ethic problem, not a workout methodology issue.

14. Pork Chop Sandwiches

But a workout methodology not designed for a beginner would facilitate a dedication/work ethic problem. What's better, give someone a workout plan that gives them the most likelihood to succeed or give them something that will ultimately lead to discouragement and probably failure?

15. bigbadben

bigbadben I rule you

I see where you're coming from, but if someone has a dedication/work ethic problem, it probably won't matter what workout plan you put them on. They'll still fail.

16. Dr. Zoidberg

I'm not a noob at all.. I know how to not get injured, and i know not to try too much weight. It's not like I haven't done anything for 6 years either.. It's been 6 months or so since i've consistently been in the weight room, and i do have to do quite a bit of lifting and moving heavy things at work... so i'm not a fat piece of lard right now, just not in the shape i wanna be in.

17. Dr. Zoidberg

thank you..i think i just may do that...no one here seems to be willing to give me the info i need.

I just need to know if i should go for high weight low reps or vice versa or what. I wanna know how many times a week to do each muscle group, how often to do cardio, what sort of diet i should be on. I've done this before, but like i said, after 10-12 weeks of seeing nearly no results last year, i was discouraged as hell. I don't want to make that mistake again. and it seems every workout plan i read says something that contradicts another. I need to know what the general consensus is on what works and what doesn't. What will be best for my goals?

18. Dr. Zoidberg

The work ethic isn't a problem once i get started...assuming school and work don't own me at the same time i'm feeling bad about not getting results like i did last year...
    I thought maybe the lack of sleep was causing me to not improve :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.