GUN Trying to decide on a new guy...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bigsnake, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Trying to decide on a new gun...

I want a fullsized in 9mm.

The guns I'm between right now are a Glock 34, Glock 17L, and Springfield XD 5"

This will be something I plan to shoot in the local IPSC and, if I ever find one reasonably close, an IDPA event.

IBXDRusts
    IBGlockexplodes

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  2. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've got the G17, I like it, no experience with the G34, shot the springfield it was ok but I like the Glock better, shot one of the full sized 9mm sigs which was pretty nice too. Have you shot any of them or atleast handled them? If not goto a shop and fondle them. But the G17 gets a :bigthumb: from me

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I've not shot a Sig before.

I have handled the Glock 34 and Glock 17L.

I own a XD40 4" and a Glock 26

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Where's the hell is gun crew tonight!!!!

Is 9mm a good round for IPSC, IDPA, etc. Just been doing some reading and was wondering how hard it is to hit the power requirements?

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm here I just don't like my choices ;)

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What would yours be?

8. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You can run major out of a 9mm in IPSC but it isn't easy. If you plan to be a gamer you'll need to be at least shooting .40 to make major.

I could care less about "power factor" personally. I shoot my carry gun for all the matches I enter. My advice is to get a Glock 19 and shoot IPSC, IDPA, GSSF, training classes and everything else with it.

You can be a fighter or you can be a gamer. I don't believe you can be both.

9. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I forgot to add... Did your old guy not work out?

Sorry to hear that.

10. poonmonster

poonmonster OT Supporter

Agreed

11. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

G34 > *

12. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Yeah I'll have to agree, personally I would go with the G34. Just because I'm more comfortable with the platform.

13. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

ive got an xd 40 4" with the 9mm conversion barrel its a good gun and when you have the 9mm in it barley kicks compared to the 40. Shoots extremely accurate too my best shooting is with the xd's

14. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

what no USP?

15. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I've been reading GlockTalk and other pages about the G34 and kept hearing about making Major... I don't even know what it means though... :o Guess I need to look into what it even means... unless someone wants to explain.

I've already got a Glock 26... Kind of want a Glock 34 just so I can shoot in compeition what I will carry. If i like it, then I'll probably sell some of my other guns since I won't be using them.

16. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I kinda want to get another G34 in OD green, to go along with my black one.

:hsugh:

17. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

#1 HK USP
    #2 Sig 226
    #3 Glock 17

Don't bother with anything else.

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dont care for OD guns or furniture, I was looking at the OD P99 in a gunshop last week and my thoughts were :ugh:

19. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I shoot Production Minor, and I'm unclassified, because I don't care. Like Shackles said, figure out what you want out of competition shooting. You can either play around and game it, and try to win competitions, or you can use REAL WORLD skills, and just use the competition atmosphere to add that sense of urgency. For me, it's just another place for me to practice dynamic shooting. I try not to do all the walk-throughs that everyone else does, because you don't get a walk-through in real life. I, to the best of my ability, use practical skills, and work on making them faster and more accurate.

I was at a Gwinnett Practical Shooting League IPSC match the other day, and, since I'm new to it, I asked if the rules allowed me to do one-handed reloads, because I had planned to shoot the whole string weak-hand only. They explained that to do so would DQ me, for "losing control of the pistol," even though it would've been between my knees the whole time, very much in control. There was one guy who was agitated by my question, and he yelled from the back, "this isn't tactical shooting." I wanted to yell back, "So, you call it Gwinnett PRACTICAL Shooting League for no reason?" Really, he was an asshole, but he was honest. The courses aren't designed to be realistic in most cases, and they're not designed to be shot realistically.

Keep all that in mind when you're picking the weapon you want to use when you shoot. I shoot exactly the way I carry. I use my G19 from my IWB holster, I put my mags in a cargo pocket, and I go from there. I am completely ambidextrous, so when I have to shoot at an angle that would be awkward for a righty, I switch over to my left side and shoot, and even reload from there as well. The one thing I'll commend IPSC and IDPA on is that they force some people who would otherwise never use their weak hand to practice their weak-handed shooting.

Anyways, that's my take on it.

20. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Power factor:
    Power factor is calculated using the bullet weight and the average velocity of the 3 rounds fired, according to the following formula:

Power Factor =
    bullet weight (grains) x average velocity (feet per second)

9mm has a really hard time making major. I could give a shit about what class I'm classified in but for gamers being the best in minor power factor is like being the best kid on the junior varsity team.

As I already wrote; you can be a gamer OR you can be a fighter. You can't be both.

21. Go to a range and test both of them out and pick what works best for you. I have been a glock owner since the early 90s, I picked up an XD about 6 months ago and never looked back at Glocks. But this suits me and only me. Get your ass to a range and do some testing.

22. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I got it now. I thought you had to make Major to even shoot or something. I will be sticking w/ 9mm then in my guns for now. I'll be able to put more rounds down range if I shoot 9mm than .40 or .45.

23. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

sig sig sig!

24. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Which one is good for production/service pistol class IDPA or IPSC?

25. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

sig 226