Trying to clear some things up here

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by NoXeN, May 27, 2003.

1. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

OK guys, I'm going to start up my detailing business again, last year it was just for my neighbors and family but now im going to put some fliers in the locker room at the country club i work at. so anyways, i want my work to be really good and not amateurish ;)

First Off I'm planning on ordering the clay magic clay bar. Now if someone wants the whole package deal Im going to include this and if the car needs it I put a sandwich bag on my hand and run it over the paint to see if its smooth correct? and if its not it needs claying?

I also read that you use Meg Swirl Free Polish, now I just ordered 2 bottles of vanilla moose wax hand glaze, would i still apply the polish before the glaze? or should i use the swirl free polish on something like a daily driver/older cars? I saw somewhere on here that you only use one or the other, what would you recommend?

I also picked up S100, loving it so far on my car but I was wondering if a client wanted the "wash/wax" and thats it, should i waste the s100 on it? or should i just use a cleaner wax instead with my buffer?

Also what should I charge? I'm really lost, I dont want to be outrageous but not so low im asking myself why I'm doing this. But I want to do 3 different "packages"

the wash and clean interior package which would be washin the car, clean the windows and vacuum

the next package would be as i said before a wash/wax which id add interior cleaning, wheel shine

the final package would be wash,polish/glaze,wax..you get the idea, basically everything

SORRY for the long post, i just needed to ask these questions before i started making flyers and telling people, thanks for any help guys!

:bigthumb:

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I use the claybar whenever I notice tiny paint defects, oxidation, embedded shit in the paint. The parts where you'll see this the most is on the front of the car, around the wheelwells and areas on the doors lower than the middle. Vanilla Moose is a light polish, great for those final touches after a clay bar on a car with very minor oxidation. Now, if the car has some scratches on the paint, use the full force of products - Dual Action CLeaner/Polish, Swirl Free Polish, then Vanilla Moose - in that order. Top with your favorite wax, S100 is a great one. When I detail people's cars for them, I always use S100. If you wanted an "economy" wax to use, I would use Meguiar's #26. Take Scott's advice, though. Stick with the S100 paste wax.

I really can't help you with pricing, as I only charge what people want to give me. It's usually a family/friends thing, you know?

3. i'm not a guru at this type of thing but i wanna say good luck on this. hope it works out

4. NoXeN

thanks ill need it :bigok:

for the "wash/wax" only option I was thinking of using the cleaner liquid wax instead because its cheaper and quicker. How is #26? Ive never used it before

Also I should only clay cars that really need it? Was I correct about using the baggie to test if it needs it?

and whats the dual action cleaner/polish? meguiars make it i assume? thanks for the replies guys

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Nah, cleaner wax has polish in it or something. No need to polish twice. Meguiar's #26 is pretty good, 2nd best to S100 IMO.

I don't know what you mean by the "baggie test," so I don't know if it works. Yes, Meguiar's makes DAC/P.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

For most cars, either Swirl Free and S100 (for light swirls and scratches) or Vanilla Moose and S100 (for nearly perfect paint) will work for a two step process. You can use S100 for a one step if the paint is perfect (no polish in S100, it is a pure wax), but you can use Vanilla Moose as a stand alone cleaner wax for paint in decent, but not perfect paint.

You can probably offer the following packages:

Wash-wash, vac, dress tires, clean windows
    Basic exterior detail-same as above but one step wax or cleaner wax.
    Deluxe exterior detail-wash package plus 2 step polish/wax
    Premium exterior detail-wash, clay, 2 step polish/wax
    Show car exterior detail-wash, clay, 3 step deep polish/polish/wax

You also might want to register at www.autopia.org and go through the pro detailers forum for more ideas.

7. NoXeN

what are some good price points scott?

THANKYOU so much for the reply, I hope to do well and all of you guys have made it possible

8. NoXeN

also would the vanilla moose be considered the polish and the meg swirl free the DEEP polish? thanks scott!

9. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Yes.

10. NoXeN

great, i cant wait to get my products in and start

11. NoXeN

im so anxious, im almost done with my ad, would you guys want to see it? thanks for all the help emt, your posts have been helpful

12. Scottwax

Go ahead and post it. Just watch the file size, por favor.

13. NoXeN

what about price points scott?

14. figure out what you wanna make hourly. lets say you wanna make 20/hr. and lets say you estimate a complete package will take 7 hours. charge around 150. whatever you do, try to be consistent in your pricing. if you get an suv and you know it'll take 8 hours, then charge 170 for a suv.

15. NoXeN

what do you guys use for wheels? i just got the mothers stuff (for cleaning brakedust/grime off)

[​IMG]

Im charging 30 for a wash and them im working my way upward..Im just worried after Ive bought all these polishes/glazes no one will want that and just go for the cheap 1 step option. Im also thinking of on the ad putting "Call for estimate" for the wax jobs, itd just be easier and I can ask if they want the leather/cloth cleaned :dunno:

opinions?

16. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Uhh, no. You also have to take into consideration that the consumer has to think the price is reasonable. They don't give a fuck what you make per hour. Besides, if all you had to count in was hourly rate, you'd never have any supplies. Supplies, mileage, what the market will bear, etc. will all figure into your final pricepoint.

Please don't pretend you know what you're talking about, when you obviously don't. kthxbye. :)

17. it was just an example but if you wanna be an asshole about it, thats fine.

18. and i'm sorry i don't do things exactly how you do it. i forgot there is only one way to do everything

19. Scottwax

Check around your area to see what everyone else is charging and factor that in with more personalized service and convienence they get with mobile detailing and what you want to make. What you want to make per hour has to be factored in since you don't want to price yourself so low you are only making $10-15 an hour. When you get into some particularly nasty SUVs or minivans, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for doing the work so cheaply. In addition, if your prices are too low, people will either take it to mean you are cheap (instead of a good value) or you will get the bargain hunters who let their cars get real bad since they don't want to pay much for a detail. Either way, you lose in that situation.

I'd charge $25-35 for wash/vac (depending on vehicle size), start a wash and 1 step wax at $50 (again, more for larger vehicles), $65 and up for a 2 step, $80 and up for clay and 2 step and $95 for clay and 3 step. Full interior detailing should add from around $40 (small clean cars) and up if the vehicle is large or really dirty.

20. NoXeN

heres my ad..its really rough right now, Im not sure where to go with it, should I just charge extra for the interior or include it in the package?

http://www.noxen.org/detail.htm

21. Scottwax

I'd take that part about cleaning carpet stains out in the $50 package. You will get royally screwed at that price because you will be getting people bringing in their wive's cars that have kids in them all day long spilling stuff. You'll end up spending over an hour just on the carpets on some vehicles.

You do not list a price for the Premium Wax option and in the Ultimate Wax option you should change this sentence from "Includes everything in previous package except to "Includes everything in previous package plus.

Other than that, just play around with the wording a little since some of it is a little awkward. Prices seem reasonable, except about the cleaning carpets in the $50 package (raise it to $75 if you include carpet cleaning or move that option into the Premium package).

22. NoXeN

23. Scottwax

24. NoXeN

i only have ones of my car..would you care if i took one of the pictures off your site? if not, thats ok, no biggy

25. Scottwax

You can snag one out of the detailing pics thread if you want. Most of the pics on my site are a bit smaller so they load faster.