A&P Trying to choose a medium format system.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jonny Chimpo, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

I've been planning on purchasing a film camera to augment my DSLR system and I've already decided to go with a medium format system rather than 35mm. The problem now is which system.

The choices are down to these options:

Mamiya 645AFd
    Hasselblad 503cx
    Contax 645 AF

I have very few requirements, as it probably evident by how different these systems are from one another. I'll be using the camera for creative portrait work, in mostly black and white.

I'm leaning toward the Contax system, because of it's SLR style handling, and use of Carl Zeiss lenses. But it's a system without a future since Kyocera has discontinued the brand, and shipments of the 645 AF will stop at the end of the year.

I'll be buying used equipment anyway, so that may not be a huge problem. Does anyone have any experience with these systems they can relate? I've used the Hasselblad, but not the other two.

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

:hsugh:

If you are just buying to play, buying into an AF medium format system is :riaa:

Since you've aleady got a canon, you could just get into the 1Ds/1DsmkII if you're just concerned with file sizes

If you want a digital back, the Mamiya 645AF is probably the best option since you will have the more affordable Mamiya ZD back coming soon, opposed to selling your behymen for a Hasselblad setup

3. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

I want to shoot film, mostly black and white, for portrait and wedding work. It's not just for play, it will be used for income. Digital backs are nice, but that's not what I want this for. If I was shooting digital, then you hit the nail on the head and I'd just buy a 1Ds Mark II.

4. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

why do you need autofocus then ?

most of the AF systems on medium format systems are rather basic compared to the AF systems you'd find in cameras like your 20D/1D, etc... and raise the price through the ceiling for the system

check out the Mamiya 645 Pro / Pro TL system

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I've always been a Hassleblad fan ever since I used on over thirty years ago. It's an expensive camera and the lenses aren't cheap either but I like the fact that you can sync a strobe at any shutter speed and the back is removable. The optics are also first rate and (I think) that any Hassleblad lens from years ago will still work with the newer bodies which means that there are a lot of good used lenses on the market.