A&P Trying to be logical...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Thought Thinker, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Thought Thinker

Thought Thinker Circling the drain.

So, I'm now in a position to where I can spend a little money on a camera.
    Been searching and searching, and narrowed down two possibilities.
    To me it seems like a no-brainer, but I need some opinions.

Keep in mind I'm new, and know very little. I want something with quality, but I don't want to be left wanting more.

Option #1 = Nikon D90, this would wipe out my budget, and I'd have to settle for the kit, and the kit only. End of story.

Option #2 = Nikon D40. I could save on the body, and buy some nicer glass instead of the kit lens which would provide me more opportunity on what I shoot (I have a fast moving toddler, plus I'm near the beach/mountains/LA crap).

Option #2 seems more logical because I could learn, have nice lenses, and be in a position to grow with my equipment instead of going overboard right off the bat fucking up my learning curve even more. I know the D90 is a nice camera, but seems useless if I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing.

I also plan on taking a couple night classes at my local community college for shits and giggles, not that it matters or factors into my decision either way.

I just want to hear it from people experienced in the areas of photography on what someone as clueless as myself should do. Knowing now what you do and you were in my situation, what would you do with what I'm considering?

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

there's a $200 diff between body of d90 and body + kit lens

why not go body and get a diff lens?

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

oh and i'm totally clueless about dslr's, but i manage with the d90 fine. it's my first slr

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

5. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

People around here seem to shit on the D40. They're not entirely wrong. Near as I can tell, it's missing about three important features. No built-in AF motor for full compatibility with older lenses. No mirror lockup for optimal long exposure shots. No DOF preview button for... uh, previewing your DOF.

The bottom line on it though is there is nothing else out there for the price ($375 w/ kit lens) unless you want to buy a used camera that is 3-5 years old; also, it takes very nice pictures still and otherwise has all the functions of a "real" DSLR. This is why I bought one.

There are some in-between options though. I only wanted to spend as little as I possibly could to get into the game, whereas you have a budget for more. The tweener Nikons are all utterly pointless, but you could split the difference by going with one of the Canons instead, which all include the features the D40 lacks.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  6. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

yeah exactly.. you can get a Rebel T1i for like ~$800 (vs $1,130.00 or so for the d90) w/ the kit lens, which is 15.1 Megapixels (vs the d40's 6.1, and the d90's 12.3, not that MP are important anymore, but 15 over 6 is a big advantage...), you get full HD video with the T1i, which you also get with the d90.

With the d90 kit lens you get an 18-105mm focal range, with the kit for the T1i you get the standard 18-55mm IS 3.5-5.6.. which is just a basic lens that you'll probably get rid of in the future anyway.

There are certainly advantages and disadvantages to either or.. If you have your heart set on Nikon, go for it I guess :dunno:

Personally, this is coming from experience..

If I could have saved up a little more and gotten a prosumer rather than an entry level DSLR, I would have been much happier today..

I got a Rebel XSi in February, and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't get the 40d.

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:rofl::rofl:

8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Get the D5000.

Has the d90's sensor and autofocus setup, video mode, and a cool ass screen, but in the d60's body.

IMO, the biggest drawbacks of the d40 are the sensor and the shitty 3 autofocus points. The d5000 resolves both of them.

Sure, the lack of a focus motor blows, but every day more and more lenses are coming out with a built in focus motor.

Like the Tamron 17-50mm. 2.8, for example. Which leads me to my lens recommendation.... Stupid sharp, f2.8, fairly cheap, and now with a build in focus motor! Yay!

So here:

Nikon d5000 ($660): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Tammy 17-50 w/motor ($450): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Hell, they even qualify for free shipping. But there's only 1 5000 left in stock, so get on it quick.

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

isn't the D5000 a major piece of shit though? I haven't heard a single good thing about it.

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

where have you heard a single bad thing about it? I mean seriously, what's not to like? It's the d90 in a consumer body....

11. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

don't remember honestly, but i was considering it as a purchase and was turned off by so many reviews

12. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

oh. I'd be interested to hear what they had to say. I don't recall hearing anything bad about it.

What did you end up with?

13. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

better yet, a D300 w/ video in a consumer body. :o

14. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

D90.

i dont want to turn him off to it, but i know there was a reason i didnt get it

i have memory lapse right now

15. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

It would be more accurate to say that it's a D40 with a D90 sensor and a flip-out screen.

Interestingly enough, all of the features I said before the D40 lacks... the D5000 also lacks all three. It also has a slower flash sync speed than the D40 (as do all other consumer DSLRs I've seen) and a smaller viewfinder. For a camera that costs twice as much as what a D40 can be had for, I am decidedly unimpressed.

16. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah hunt pretty much covered some of my turn-offs :love:

17. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

I know this is a Nikon crew thread.. but just don't rule out Canon from your ideas..

18. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah rebels are good for people on a budget, and with the money saved u could get 2 lenses

19. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

:werd:

20. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

Drop the nikon loving and get a Canon. You can get a good 30d, or 40d and have room for some nice glass.

21. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

yes it does...because I used it once.

22. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

really? the difference between 1/200 and 1/250 as a flash sync is a determining factor to you??

When you look at all of the new technology that went into the 5000, I can't even begin to justify your argument for the d40. It's ridiculous. Hell, the 11 vs 3 AF points is the beginning and end of the discussion for me, and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

It's WELL worth the money over the d40.

For my $$, the d90 is also WELL worth the money of the d5000.

But if I had to pick between the 5000 with the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 and the 90 with the crappy kit lens.... I honestly don't know which i'd pick.

23. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

as someone who owned the D40, I will tell you right now...the largest driving force that made me move up, was the 3 AF points. fuck all the other nonsense, that was by far the single most limiting factor of that camera IMO.

24. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i just sold my kit lens. piece of epic shit

18-105VR that came with the D90

it's supposed to be a "better" kit lens than most offered. range was good. 105 is nice and 18 is getting wide. But meh, pics were so-so.

25. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

exactly... Everyone makes a big deal out of the other stuff, but this is seriously the worst fucking part of those cameras. I tried to use a friends d60 the other day, just to take a shot of him and his girlfriend, and it drove me fucking insane.

Yeah, thats what i've heard too. The only decent kit lens Nikon has ever had was the 18-70mm, and only because it was sharp.

But this is why I recommended the 5000 + the Tamron.