trying out the optimum products

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by georgexi, May 25, 2006.

1. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

after reading the "detail your car in under an hour" thread, i'm gonna try out the Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax. also gonna pick up a few microfiber towels. i've been a Zaino user for several years now but this stuff seems a lot easier to use so i'll give it a shot :)

would i be able to use Optimum Polish to hand-buff swirl marks out? my car is red and less than a year old. it's in great shape (garage kept, barely driven in the winter) but there are some light clearcoat swirl marks i'd like to try to get off. they're not very noticeable unless you look at them at the right angle in the sunlight. getting an orbital seems like expensive overkill IMO.

so will Optimum Polish by hand work? should i try something else like Meguiars or stick with Zaino Z5?

2. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

After using the Optimum Polish on a couple cars, I'm not real sure it would break down enough by hand to take swirls out, But I could be wrong. It does work really well by PC though. Only thing that sucks about it is for some reason its clumpy as shit and hard to squeeze out (even though their compound isn't for whatever reason). I'm sure someone who has more experience with it (Scottwax ftw) could tell for sure if it would work by hand.

3. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

I've noticed that alot. I can RARELY get it to squeeze out the cap, and end up taking it off, and have a bitch of a time not getting way too much product on the pad. It is rather clumpy as well.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

David, the owner of Optimum now has his own manufacturing plant (which I was able to visit on my way to Kentucky since it is right on the way) and he feels he can better control any 'lumpiness' you get with the polish. You can also mix the polish 50/50 with the compound and that seems to take care of the problem and finish down about as well.

You should be able to remove light defects with the polish by hand but I wouldn't consider the PC to be overkill-it can polish your paint more quickly, deeply and thoroughly than you ever could by hand.

5. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

thanks for the posts guys. by "overkill" i meant "cost overkill" :) my car is still somewhat new and the swirl marks arent major enough to me to justify spending $200+ on an orbital, pads, and other equipment right now. maybe in another year or two though. for now i think i'm just going to put a couple of layers of Z5 to hide the marks. might as well finish off the bottle.