SRS Trying Medication (Cymbalta and Effexor)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by B-Unit, Jul 3, 2008.

1. B-Unit

B-Unit New Member

So I finally went to see help for my depression issues, as well as slight anxiety.

I went to my primary care doctor, and he put me on a dose of Cymbalta, starting at 30mg, and then moving up to 60mg. I took it the first day and after that day of hell I said FUCK that.

At some times I felt "alright" but most of the day I felt "cracked out", sort of like a coke high/comedown of meth or something. I stopped after that first day.

A week later I told myself that I need to take this stuff, tried again, and had the same effects. I said fuck it and stopped all together.

I was talking to my mom about my issues, whom also sufferes from depression. She advised me to go see a psychiatrist. And I immediatly did.

He put me on Effexor 37.5mg for a week, then up to like 60 mg for a week, and then finally up to 120 mg.

Everything seemed normal for the first two weeks, but once I hit the 120 mark BAM the same exact feeling I had from the Cymbalta. :hs: I stopped immediatly and contacted him today, and am still waiting for his response.

I was wondering if anyone has any experiences like this or tips that they could share with me.

I feel depressed as hell and don't know what to do anymore :sadwavey:

anyone please help..?

2. B-Unit

B-Unit New Member

thanks for the advice so far man!

I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist about lowering my dosage to around 60 mg daily..

any other advice on my issue?

please and thank you all so much

3. TucsonTerror

TucsonTerror OT Supporter

I just made the jump from 37.5 to 75mg of Effexor a day on Tues. morning. I'm feeling better and less deprressed for the most part but still dealing with a break up due to my other issues so it's all kind of convoluted. I don't have any negative side effects at this point.

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

When you feel that you know you're taking too much. Talk to your doc about bringing you down. Go slowly because Effexor has some nasty withdrawal symptoms.

5. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

nicely timed that this thread was bumped today

I just started taking Efexor today 37.5mg for the first week, then jump up to 70mg. Taking it for mild depression and anxiety problems, in conjunction with some councelling.

Will update later when/if it all starts happening

Damo

6. Poet Soul

Poet Soul New Member

*Real nasty withdraw symptoms.

7. thatguyjeff

thatguyjeff New Member

I've been on 150mg of Effexor for over a year. For a while there we tried 225mg, but that knocked me on my ass.

I don't seem to recall many side effects when starting the drug or with its continued use.

I do notice that, when I miss a dose, it sucks HARD. I feel like shit. I keep hearing the withdrawal from this stuff are nasty, and I believe it. Not looking forward to going off the drug, whenever that might be.

8. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

it took 6 weeks of slowly decreasing the dose on effexor to get my wife off of it. I think she was only taking the 75mg pills and they dropped her down to the 35mg pills and it basically made her want to kill herself because of the stabbing headaches, diarrhea, and just feeling like shit that it gave her.

we ended up breaking the capsules open and counting out 5 of the little "dots" each day until she got down to zero. there are like 250 dots in each capsule :o

effexor also turned her into an emotional zombie. Nothing made her happy, nothing made her sad. she was just blah :sad2:

9. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

I was up around 300mg of effexor a day, about to bump upto 350 when I quit it cold turkey.

Was that apparently a high dosage? I found that it would make me fine, then plateau after a few weeks to months and the only way to get past it was to increase it. By plateau I mean it felt like I missed a dosage but milder, and if you ever did miss a dose you know exactly what I mean.

10. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

Best part of the drug, if you feel nothing then there is nothing to be sad about.

11. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

Well im on my 3rd day, and I'm constantly getting waves of nausea, as well as laying in bed and constantly agitated and cant lay still .... I know it will pass tho .. im hoping

12. TwiggSS

TwiggSS eh?

+1 for effexor withdrawls sucking. I wouldn't wish that stuff on my worse enemy. :(

13. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

For those that have taken efexor, how long did it take for any effects/side effects kicking in?

I've been feeling a little bit of nausea the first few days, .. just jumped up onto 75mg today ... and I feel like I'm not having any emotions at all, .. I dont know if its just the dose going up, or what.

14. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

Bumping this one again.

2 months in, and starting to go a bit backwards now, .. last couple of week (still on the 75mg XR) ive been noticing the anxiety and stuff really coming back. ALso my hunger is really coming back too (previously was not eating as much and really loosing weight).

Off to the doc again tomorrow, my psychologist is thinking that my body is becoming used to the dosage and reckons to double it to 150mg.

Still feeling like a bit of an emotional zombie tho.

15. I may be joining druggie crew tomorrow but I dont think so. I am talking to my doctor/psychiatrist again though tomorrow. We'll see what comes out of it.

16. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

Good luck with it, .... i gotta say up until the last couple of weeks I was doing really well on this, ... just going back downhill now tho

17. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

primary care shouldn't be prescribing antidepressives.

my primary care provider put me on a low dose of effexor for 6 months two years ago.

the results? I put on 50 lbs, feel very few extremes of emotion and realized that I wasn't depressed, I just hated my job.

have you tried going outside and getting regular exercise?

18. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

I have tried that yes.

I've suffered from depression before, and have family history of it.

Certainly seemed to be working until a couple of weeks ago

19. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

up to 150mg a day now ..... man its making me feel sick, ... only lasts a day or two tho from previous experience

20. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

120mg is no where near a high dose, where the hell do you get your information? 150mg is a maintenance dose.