Try Before you Buy Programs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Does anyone besides Sun have a try-before-you buy program? No, I'm not hyping Sun, but we just did our first try-before-you buy with them on an x4100, and I'm wondering if we can try out other products from other companies this way.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I can't speak for the computer industry, but some years back I was trying to start a speaker company, and I used to get all sorts of freebies from the
    suppliers.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I know HP does, at least for big organizations. We recently got a few HP boxes to try out at school to decide what to replace a couple of labs with for next year. I wouldn't be surprised if other big manufacturers have similar deals.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Like penguin man says, it depends on your company, potential order, and the item you are evaluating. But almost every software and hardware vendor we wanted to do business with, large or small, gave us evals.

I worked at medium sized company with a big name so we were able to eval many multi-million dollar pieces of hardare before buying. It's also quite annoying because they obviously send a dedicate sales team to hound your ass, asking if we're satisfied, taking us out to lunch, dinner, games, etc.

Our last large eval was between Sun (6900), HP (rx8640), and IBM (p550). And we picked none of them. Heh, I love seeing the looks on the teams' faces, "Okay, you can come pick up your racks, we're done, and we're not going to buy it, kthxbye."

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

FFEeeeeeeh

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It arrived. This thing makes the 2100 look like a toy. I had no idea how small 10K RPM SCSI drives are. So THIS is how they fit 4 drives in a 1U.

I am not going to play with it until next week. Need to get other shite done first.

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Those are SAS (Serial-attached SCSI) drives. Not the older, larger sized SCSI drives.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah. I'm impressed with them.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I fuxed the M1. So I am installin Solaris on the X4100. It was supposed to come with 6/06 on it... but it fails to boot in anything other than single user mode. So I am reinstalling.