True or False?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by who?, Dec 23, 2004.

1. who?

who? Guest

if a harddrive is infected with a virus, can the virus in ANY way fuck up other parts of your comp? such as motherboard?
    i'm about to help my firend format the harddrive, it's filledwith viruses, and i have a feeling the mobo is fucked up as well, and i dont know if the virus caused it or what....
    :noes:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, a virus cannot physically damage a piece of hardware.

3. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

Oh?

The second payload tries to cause permanent damage to the computer. This payload attacks the Flash BIOS (a part of your computer that initializes and manages the relationships and data flow between the system devices, including the hard drive, serial and parallel ports, and the keyboard) and tries to corrupt the data stored there. As a result, nothing may be displayed when you start the computer. A computer technician would need to fix this.

Quoted from: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/cih.html#technicaldetails

There's other examples, but this should be enough for you to crawl back into your cave.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

not hardware, but firmware - and that's close enough for most people

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

explain how that physically damages a piece of hardware? I don't see how it does.

The most it can do is flash the bios of the mobo to something other than what it should be. However, if you go into your BIOS configuration, there should be a "bios virus protection" feature that will disable writing to it, thus eliminating the risk
    :mamoru:

nice try tho ;)

6. who?

who? Guest

thanks, but im not computer genious, so is it safe for me to plug that harddrive into my comp and format it ?

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yes, just don't boot from it or use any files on it. Best bet though would be to use a OS CD to just format it in the box. You might want to find a utility on CD that can zero out the boot record too, just in case.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've removed HDDs from a customer's machine and put it into a spare that I have in order to do virus scans and format them thousands of times... Never once has this damaged my motherboard. If you're really worried, don't boot to windows -- just stick in a Win98 boot floppy, then use Fdisk to wipe out the partitions...

9. who?

who? Guest

^
    yes, that's exactly what i'm going to do..
    so as long as i dont go into windows or use the files, im safe? thanks :bigthumb:

10. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

Here you go again. First of all, he asked "can the virus in ANY way fuck up other parts of your comp?" You answers "No" -- then you went on with a half truth. As someone else pointed out, firmware is not hardware, but it's close enough for "most people". Furthermore, CIH is one example of many. And as you well know, firmware doesn't just exist in your motherboard, but also most of your video cards, I/O controllers, etc -- which not all have virus protection.. (which by the way.. we all know how well virus protection actually works :rolleyes: ).

And it goes beyond fucking up firmware, there have been viruses that actually open and close a CD-ROM try repeatedly until the machine is rebooted or the drive dies. Is that "physical" enough for you?

You're not wrong all the time, you're just absolute about everything. It's not a black and white world, it's quite gray. This applies to IT related stuff too.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if people wern't absolute, then things would never get done ;)

but criticism taken... I do usually go in guns blazing my way.