MIL True life: I'm a civilian again.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by shiba, Oct 28, 2006.

1. shiba

shiba Active Member

Did anyone else catch it on mtv? it shows 3 soldier's transition back into the civilian world.

2. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

its on sun at 10AM according to my DVR tv guide.

3. shiba

shiba Active Member

ok 1st soldier, i think he was 4 years active army infantry or mechanic; transition to civilian world did not go well and he end up drinking alot.

2nd guy was army with both legs blown off in iraq. showed the difficulties he had overcoming his lack of legs and how the small town community treats soldiers.

3rd guy was a marine with a wife and newborn. showed how hard it was for him to get a job.

Basically the jist of it is that transitioning back to the civilian world sucks.

4. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

humm.. I would assume so. Most people take some sort of college classes before getting out so they have a degree to fall back on. There are a lot of grants out there but I assume its harder for people in the Army or Marines who deploy for long periods of time to do long distance learning. Some over seas bases have an education office though that you can take tests at though. I do not know details just word of mouth from people who do the tests and have been study abroad.

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

its on right now on mtv if you're interested

6. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

dammit i wish mtv would broadcast online.

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

mtv? you mean a tv network that caters to a demographics that scream when they see justin timberlake does a documentary? holy wow! are you sure they don't just needle out the people with special cases to portray a biased slant? such as true life i'm a crackhead but it's not really my fault hey guys let's tape me while i do drugs and try to recover!

transitioning is hard but the military has institutionalized a lot of systems to help. for active marines the major bases have a lot of support systems, MCCS, the VA, job boards for employers that specifically look for military vets, workshops, stress seminars. the NCO chain is still in place for a good bit, it's not going to be there forever, but no one in this country has ever said to a marine, soldier, sailor, or airman exactly the date they were done with their contract that tough luck douchebag, hand in your ID card.

so fuck mtv.

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I haven't crossed, but I agree.

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Understood, but this thread deals specifically with people crossing over to civilian status. You may have that problem regardless of your employer.

Also, my main thoughts were about MTV and their "documentary".