true duals on 4th gen f-body. (over the axel)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mr.Right, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Mr.Right

Mr.Right N2O

ok, first off, these are 2 years old, and i had a leaky rear main seal drip all over them, so dont mind the finish... lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i need to re-tweek how the left side sits, when the exhuast was made, i had 150,000 mile stock motor mounts in and i now have solid motor mounts, so it sits a little lower on the drivers side. nothing major, i am just picky, and its an easy fix...
    nothing rubs, or vibrates, its all stainless steel.... made by HTP of Arnold, Missouri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9jykO8pEo

(and yes, i do realize i am still on the 10 bolt)

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Nice fab job. What's the point of the crossover, though? Doesn't that just introduce a choke-point, thus negating any benefit from having separate exhausts for the left and right cylinder banks?

3. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Balances flow, evens out exhaust pulses, and helps with scavenging.

Plus it helps the sound quality to be consistent.

4. deusexaethera

So does it even matter that there's two pipes downstream from the crossover? Or is it all for looks past that point?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not hating on his work, I'm just trying to understand what's going on.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  5. Mr.Right

Mr.Right N2O

Where it meets into an X, its not being forced into one 3 inch pipe, it is a larger area

an X pipe will help provide more HP and TQ over stright pipes without it.

6. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

It matters because if you dump dual exhaust into a single outlet you get a restriction.

Whatever function the crossover serves, you still need enough exhaust tubing to handle what's exiting the headers.

2x3" pipes into crossover into 2x3" pipes > 2x3" pipe into crossover into 1x3" pipe.

Make sense?

7. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

Is there a point where the restirciton has negligible effect on the output of the engine? I've always heard that the f-body's only had a single pipe because in stock form it didn't flow enough to necessitate duals? Im assuming he has aftermarket hearders, and therefore, this all goes out the window, as the stock manifolds would've been more of a restriction than a single pipe.

8. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

Looks like a nice setup. How much did it run you for the over the axle setup? I was thinking about buying some TSP True Duals, or just getting my own custom made but dumping them under the car.

9. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I'm sure there is, I just don't know the math well enough to prove it.

Common sense says that no matter how hard you push it, a Chevy Aveo is just fine with a 1" single.

Having said that, it's my understanding that LT1 and LS1 4th gens have enough potential that a cam swap and headers on either make biggish true duals more than showing off.

My guess, and it's very likely that I'm wrong either way, is that the TS isn't using that exhaust to it's full capacity but that he needs at least dual pipes.

10. Mr.Right

Mr.Right N2O

f-bodys come with y-pipes which dump into 1 single pipe. there is not suppossed to be room to run true duals.

my car is a 383 cubic inch lt1, and i spray a fairly large shot of nitrous, so i need all the flow i can get.

the set up was made by a friend of mine so he didn't charge me much, but he makes them for about $700 installed for hs customers.

11. Mr.Right

Mr.Right N2O

where it crosses over, its not one 3 inch pipe. its still 2,3 inch pipes that are slightly merged together,

12. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I understand that, I was just going for a shorthand way to explain to deusex why you wouldn't merge the duals into one at the crossover.

13. deusexaethera

I understand why you wouldn't merge the two headers into a single pipe, provided that there is enough exhaust flow to fill dual pipes -- that's why I wanted to know why he was sending both headers into a single-3" pipe at the crossover point, before splitting them apart again into duals.

Now that I know the crossover is wider than a single pipe, it makes sense why it's not a choke point.

14. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

I like the Berger blackout.

Moar pix of it please.

15. very nice setup, did you have to run a panyard bar relocation kit? It looks like the mount point is just bent out of the way.

Very nice setup though.

Also did you relocate your rear calipers or is that just where they mount on lt1's?

16. Mr.Right

Mr.Right N2O

nothing had to be bent, other than maybe the heat shield for the gas tank (if i remember correctly). i did have to relocate all the rear brake lines, and that vent for the gas tank. the panhard bar is adjustable, but everything is still in the stock location. the car is also lowered 2 inches, and nothing rubs.

thats the stock location for lt1 calipers.

some more pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i know the car is dirty and has zip ties everywhere, i am currently cleaning everything up. the zip ties were only used to get the car on the road at last minute last year, to settle a few arguments with some other street cars.;)

before lowering springs...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. very nice, and thanks for answering my questions

:wavey: f-bod crew

18. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

nice i bet that sounds pretty sick im on my work comp so no youtube