troubleshooting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by solarsrt4, Feb 25, 2010.

1. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

So the other day i came home from work and my wife said her comp started to freeze up on her. she'd open up firefox and get on any site and couple minutes later it would freeze. you could still move the mouse, pull up task manager and shut down/abort tasks that way but it would not fix anything. Then things got progressively worse throughout the day. The time between freezes got shorter and the less we were able to do. Now it won't even boot up. Power comes on, MOBO screen appears and once it goes to 1 section of the windows loading bar it will restart the comp automatically. I can get into the bios but i don't know TOO much about whats in there and i didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Neither of the safemodes or any other option that's there when that screen comes up works anymore.

stats:

ASUS M2N-X mobo, 1 gig of corsair ram, i think a 7600 evga GPU and an AMD processor.

So far i've changed power supplies, tried the stick of ram she has in different slots, tried my ram from my comp in her comp(in different slots) and nothing is any different. Btw her ram and mine are the same.

Suggestions?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

overheating?

clean out dust? cpu fan working well?

3. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

sounds like a failing HD (assuming the 2nd psu is good)

:dunno:

4. Toology

Toology New Member

Well based on what you have checked, I would say your HD is getting ready to crap out on you, or your having temperature issues. My guess would be the HD though.

From my experience PSU & Ram problems don't tend to be intermittent, if somethings wrong with either of those, most the time ur machine wont even boot

5. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

Fans aren't too dirty. I hit'm w/ compressed air every couple weeks. CPU fan spins fine also.

she never had a temp monitor on her comp so i never knew what her temps were but she's been running this comp for around 2 years and she hasn't had a problem yet.

Tomorrow i might try and see if i have a HD laying around and see if that works.

6. cbanta

cbanta New Member

I vote HDD

7. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

Just an update. It was the HDD. Bought a Seagate and installed windows on it and now the wifey is up and running :)