troubleshooting advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Jul 20, 2008.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

A friend asked me to look at an ibook that was given to him. I'm a PC guy and am not particularly familar with macs -- especially with troubleshooting them.

The machine sometimes boots to the login screen, but will freeze within a minute or two. The cursor cannot be moved, and typing on the keyboard will not result in any text on-screen. The caps-lock light does turn on/off, however.

The machine does not always get to the login screen, and will sometimes freeze during loading of the OS and sometimes the system will display colored bars. I have removed the airport extreme card and tried different memory with the same results.

I have removed the hard drive and sometimes the system shows a grey screen with a "folder" icon in the center, and other times will display the colored bars.

I believe this is a hardware problem, most likely the logic board. Can anyone confirm or deny this.

I have thought that heat may be an issue... The fan does not seem to cycle. Sometimes (not always) it will cycle for a second at boot... but not every time.... and never after that. The system does get quite warm, but I know they have a reputation for that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Assuming we can identify the faulty part(s) where do you recommend they be purchased from?

Thank you in advance.

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Have you tried booting from the Install DVD?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no. what would be the purpose of that?

4. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

colored bars that early in the boot cycle is gonna be hardware, definitely. you said you removed the HDD so there's no way that it's system corruption causing this.

If your friend has applecare on a recent machine, you can download techtool deluxe from apple, which will test for hardware faults. I'd check the RAM also, though it should be noted that some runs of the iBook G4 were notorious for logic board failures. Google ibook g4 logic board for more info. Apple settled with owners of those laptops, and an extended repair program was put into place for them. It's possible that iBook is still eligible.