Trouble with SSH and FTP Server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChowYunSkinny, Feb 10, 2006.

1. ChowYunSkinny

ChowYunSkinny You no help me now...I say **** you Jobu. I do it

OK, I've been looking all over the internet to resolve this issue to no avail and maybe someone has already done what I'm trying to accomplish, so here goes:

I have a DSL router at home with only the SSH port (22) open. It is being forwarded through the router to one of the machines on my internal network which has a 192.168.*.* private IP. This machine is running a SSH server and a FTP server. I can connect to the SSH server successfully and it creates a FTP tunnel for me on localhost, port 21. I fire up any FTP client and it allows me to connect, enter my username and password, and then as soon as I try dir, ls, get, put, etc. I get a connection failed error (error 425 IIRC). I've tried playing with passive and active modes, enabling and disabling block server-to-server bounce, and a bunch of other settings and nothing seems to remedy the error. I've even tried different FTP clients and FTP servers and get the same result. You might be thinking "well, just use secure FTP to transfer and there you go", but I need to have it set up this way as the actual client that is going to initiate the transfers does not support SFTP or SCP.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

dont forget ftp's data connection on 20. Also try passive (PASV) on the client

3. ChowYunSkinny

ChowYunSkinny You no help me now...I say **** you Jobu. I do it

I set up a client-to-server rule for the server to listen on port 20 also and get the same error message. I've tried active and passive on the client and get the error as well.