MMA trouble with my left knee

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Rob H, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Rob H

Rob H New Member

any of you guys doing BJJ have trouble with your knees. I had a reoccurring problem come up last night with my left knee and swelling and not being able to put weight on it. Knee felt great Monday, and Tuesday night. Last night felt great too, we were doing guard drills, i passed his guard, started back in guard, got triangled, went back in guard, passed his guard, got back in guard and realized i couldn't put any weight on my knee, it was fine all the previous times i went into guard. I didn't feel anything that could cause it to swell up, and nothing out of the ordinary happened to cause it to swell up.

At the end of class it swelled up pretty big and felt like there was a good amount of fluid in there. After a hot shower i iced it down last night, took ibuprofen today and have a Icyhot wrap on it. Swellling is down but still tender and hurts when touched.

You guys deal with something like this and is there anything i might be able to do to try to prevent or reduce this happening.

2. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

What sort of mats are you rolling on? Ive noticed if I roll on those cheesy puzzle piece mats for a while my knees will start to get really tender because Im used to being on a thicker mat.

3. Rob H

Rob H New Member

it's a raised mat with springs and tires below it. not sure what mats are on the top surface. :hs:

4. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Is it the knee joint itself? I get weird bruising/swelling right under the actual knee (so it looks like I have 2 knees). :dunno: Hurts to put weight on it, but can't do much about it.

5. Rob H

Rob H New Member

its the knee, on the left/outside half where the swelling is. Right side looks fine but is sore when touched on the bones. i can walk on it fine, i can't get on my knees with any weight on it (kind of hard to do when training :hsugh:)

6. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Yeah, sounds about identical to mine. I used to have the same issues when I would skateboard years ago. Probably just repeated impact. :dunno: Try to stay off them a few days?

7. Rob H

Rob H New Member

that's the plan. i am not going to class tonight and don't have anything again till Monday. just taking Ibuprofen to help and have IcyHot wraps on it to hopefully help. :x:

8. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

There was a interesting post in F&N about taking baby aspirin with fish oil. It suppsodely works jealing wonders...especially on swelling.

How do you like Gracie Barra?

9. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

my left knee is fubared. Has been since grade 9. I've had 5 operations on it already and none fixed it. Dr. Fowler, who is one of the best orthopedic/sports medicine surgeons around was/is stumped by it.

It's been bothering me ALOT lately,possibly just because of the cold. I have a surgical consult appointment coming up on tuesday :hsd:

10. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Fowler/Kennedy FTW

11. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Good luck. :h5:

I hate sitting out and healing, I find it to be pretty excruciating when you have to sit around instead of rolling/whatever you want to be doing.

12. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

that's happened to me before, it felt like fluid was accumulating in my knee. Maybe its from the impact of the mat from takedowns/rolling. Use this as an excuse to practice your bottom game =P