GUN Trouble with my G23 v. Need experienced advice.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Luciano, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Luciano

Luciano Guest

A month or so ago, i acted on an opporitunity to purchase a gently used G23. I love the feel, weight, and size for CC. But, that brings me to my issue.
    I will be the first to admit taht i am a relative newbie to the firearm/carrying world. Having grown up in the south, i did pistol hunt varmints, rifle and shotgun hunt deer and waterfowl, and kept myself licensed, through classes, every seaon. Im not a gun-retard, but i do not consider myself an experienced firearm owner. I say all that to say my decision in a CC weapon has been a long process of trial and error, gathering information by asking "counter commandos", reading as many books and write-ups that i can get my hands on, and of course WMD :) .

Ive put 600+/- rounds of varying loads through my *new* handgun standing still, at speed, changing my environment, and im just generally unhappy with how im performing with this weapon. I dont feel comfortable with the power of the .40.

I cant ask anyone here to tell me what to buy next, but i do have a chance to unload my G23 on a buddy, and get enough out of it to damn near cover a new in box G19 set.

Ive rented a few 9mm, to see if perhaps a decrease in caliber would do the trick. I do admit taht im a little more....well....settled with the 9mm, but only time and a thousand rounds will tell. Opinions/advice? Man up and practice with the .40 until its solid? Make the change before i develop poor habits?

2. Luciano

Luciano Guest

Addendum: A few concerns...

I dont want to get into a "knock-down power" :hsugh: debate here, but lets be honest. 9mm<.40 , obviously. But, if i can place more shots better with it, wouldnt that overcome the difference?

Secondly, practice. Paying for the .40 caliber ammuntion isnt a problem, but i do feel a little bad throwing that kind of money away, considering how much i am going to be shooting either weapon.

:dunno: :wtc:

Second edit: I am set pretty firm on Glock pistols. Again, i shopped this for damn near a year. I bought the G23 because i got a really good deal on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  3. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

If you aren't comfortable with it and don't want to keep it, sell the 23 and get a 19. The 19 is an excellent weapon, you get two more rounds, less recoil, and cheaper ammo. Sounds pretty win win to me.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would work on changing your grip and stance. Many people who grew up shooting and have many years of shoot does not nessasaraly mean they are going it correctly. In many cases they maybe even worse off as they have burned bad muscle memory and techinques.

This is probably going to feel real awkward but you need to lern the modern iso grip and stance.

http://www.madtrigger.net/smf/index.php?topic=71.msg1325#new

It's going to take some work to unlearn what you are presently doing but it is going to pay off.

5. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Dammit Yar don't give him better advice then me. :mad:

6. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

sounds more like you just need to learn how to shoot properly. either you're flinching, or your shooting weaver. shouldn't be that much difference between .40 and 9mm

its usually not the gun, but the shooter ;)

7. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

I daily carry a G23. The "snap" of the .40 takes a little while to get used to but I am now equally confident in my accuracy with the G23 as I am with my accuracy with my 9mm P225.

8. Luciano

Luciano Guest

Thank you for the link. Ive not had a chance to attend the handgun training i need, and i appreciate all the advice i can get.

Ive decided to do a couple of things. Im just going to purchase the 9mm and keep both. For a time, ill carry the 19 and really really work on my form and technique with teh 23. I love the caliber, and i was really dreading "having" to get rid of it, or even choose between the two handguns.

I still dont like 30dollar boxes of .40 ammunition, though. :squint:

9. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

My advise is to find a basic "defensive" type shooting/survival course in your area. From there you can be sure you're working on the proper body placement and skills. I'd bet that a good course that works on the fundamentals will fix your shooting right up.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

Let me guess, shooting low and to the left...

Dont' worry, all new Glock shooters have this same ailment. Trigger control and dry fire. Grip and stance is also fairly important.

Don't mask your bad shooting habits by finding another gun. It's still going to be there. Fix the shooter not the gun.

11. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Obviously the problem here is that you bought a broken Glock 19. Take it back and get a REAL 19.

12. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Just get the 9mm conversion barrel and extractor and use the 23 like that. Then if you ever want to go back its only a few minutes to swap parts and you're not taking a hit reselling the gun.

13. Luciano

Luciano Guest

:rofl: damn straight! Thats hysterical!

14. Luciano

Luciano Guest

wat?

15. Luciano

Luciano Guest

naaaah. Ive decided to keep both. I really dont want to mess around with swapping barrels/mags/extractors....
    Plus, having both will be nice.

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

Get us a shot of your grip. What part of your trigger finger is on the trigger? Tip, joint or pad?

Contrary to what you "feel" like your trigger finger is doing, sounds like you are pushing the trigger. You want a straight back pull, which for me, feels like I'm "pulling" the trigger, when in fact it's a striaght pull.

I'm also guess you have a pretty tight grip with your strong hand? You need to distribute your grip pressure so that a majority of it is actually in your "support" hand, about 60-40.

Practice those two things and let me know.

17. Luciano

Luciano Guest

surprisingly, my grip isnt far off from the shots on the link that was posted. Obviously, its not quite there, but i grip high enough that i have issues with sigs biting me, and my thumbs are generally facing the right direction. As for trigger finger placement, its pad just "below" first joint.
    I had to work for awhile to not teacup, but now grip seems pretty natural. :dunno:
    I do agree, wholly, though. Fix the shooter, not the weapon.

edit: what i mean by "just below joint" is that the trigger falls closer to the joint than the middle of the pad.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  18. Luciano

Luciano Guest

And yeah, ive strengthened my stronghand grip, mostly to overcome/compensate for the snappy .40. When i dont, ive had one ejection issue.