SRS Trouble with HR

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Crawling Dead, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Alright so heres my problem. I started working at my current job 7 months ago. I was hired on as a temp and told that after 6 months I would either be hired onto the company or I would be fired. I still havent heard any news from HR about anything.

When I was hired there were already several other temps working, and a few more were hired on after I was. I believe before me there were 6 other temps. After 6 months from when they were hired, as a temp, one of them was hired onto the company, and 5 were given an extension to their temp status.

Now, after serving 6 months as a temp, with no benefits mind you, if you are hired on you have to go through another 6 months as a probationary employee, also without benefits.

Our boss keeps giving us mixed signals. Telling us that this is all in HR's hands and he has no control over it. We were told that two weeks ago we would all be hearing as to what will become of our occupational status, then we were told it was going to be last week, and this week we heard nothing.

So now there are about ten temps waiting to find out from HR if we are being hired onto the company. My concern is that because we have to go through another 6 months of probationary work where they could still fire us at any time and we would have no benefits, is that now I will have to go a year and a month without insurance instead of just a year.

The company preaches day in and day out that they want quality employees who can do their job correctly and blah blah blah and yet here I sit, waiting on HR a month overdue to tell me if I have MY shit in order.

My question is do you think its a good idea to go above my bosses head, just start attacking the problem at the source and emailing HR about this, or do you guys think that will only give HR provication to extend me in my temp status.

I'm not sure exactly what is going on with this situation. If the company is doing this on purpose to save money on insurance, or if my boss is jerking us around giving us bullshit excuses, or if HR is really just backed up and too swamped to handle this.

Its my impression that this process should all take about ten minutes out of someones day. "Is he a good employee? Can he do his job? Does he miss a lot of work?" Thats it.

Anyway. Your thoughts? think its a good idea to start getting on HR about this shit, or should I just keep waiting and hoping one day they get around to it.

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I would go talk to someone in HR in person express concern and be professional about it. Its not really going over your bosses head IMO.

meh most companies these days don't give a shit about this anymore EVERYONE is replaceable even management, gotta look out for your own ass

3. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Yeah, about that whole "not making waves" thing.

My boss sent out an email last week basically saying we are all stupid and he is better than everyone here and he knows this job better than anyone (he's been here two months. some people have been here 29 years).

So I just replied to his email, sending my response to everyone he sent his email to. To sum it up my return email was basically a verbal bitch slap, but in a very professional and well written manner.

So the whole "dont make waves, stay in line, and we'll get along fine" thing isnt going to apply to me so much.

And really, if I emailed HR, it would basically be me asking what sort of timeline we are looking at for them to get their shit in gear. In a professional manner of course

4. 7960

7960 New Member

Then quit.

Being a dick to your boss isn't going to get him to endorse you as a full time employee, and it appears you want to be a full time employee, but for some reason you aren't willing to do what it's going to take to become a full time employee...........just quit.

I love it when employees, especially temps, get this kind of entitled feeling.

And by love it, I mean I love firing them.

You keep saying "in a professional manner".......you really think they don't read these with your entitled voice ringing in their head? They know you think you "verbally bitched slapped" them, and they know you think they don't have their shit together. Quit now, avoid the embarrassment of being let go.

5. planeh

planeh Guest

Why in pluperfect hell would you respond to "bitch slap" your BOSS and expect to get hired on full time?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

some feeling of superiority, or entitlement, or both.

ironic that he'd get mad for the boss saying they're stupid and he is better than everyone, but then he doesn't have a problem doing the exact same thing.

7. johan

johan Active Member

:rofl: the level of naivete is killing me!

love it when ppl think they're capable of crafting an elegant, and "professionally worded" fuck-off letter to their boss and think their boss wont see it for exactly what it is. And then demand to be brought on full-time.

:rofl: love it!

And ps, nothing is in "HR's" hands. Your boss is the hire and fire guy. HR can have papers ready by the afternoon if they were directed to do so.

8. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Exactly. HR is dangerous. Being a temp sucks and all that bs they tell u about earning a spot is bs. Just do ur job and be cool with the boss. Also don't start drama. Temps are nobodies in the company and are easily replaceable by hundreds of people out work. Sorrry man but coroporate life is ftl sometimes

9. johan

johan Active Member

It's hard to believe people still fall for the "HR" line.

Although, admittedly, I've used it myself just to get a bothersome employee to go away for a while when I don't have time for their schtick right at that moment.

HR is about equivalent to your boss's secretary. They do the paperwork, they run the routine checks, verify college, criminal, background, call refs.

But they don't control anything, any more than the secretary does just because she's the one who actually types up the forms.

10. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

I am a temp, but I am no ones bitch. I would rather be fired with my dignity than be talked down to and allow some boss on a power trip get away with talking to me in such a way. Think its foolish? Fine. Have fun being everyones doormat in life.

You are jumping to conclusions. My department agreed whole heartedly with everything I said in my email. He could fire me over it, but he wont. Make an example out of me? And what example is that? Go against what I say and I'll fire you? Thats not how business is conducted in anything above a ten man work force.

You are jumping to conclusions. I work at a company large enough where yes, we have a human resources group, and yes, we use them. My boss is as outside contractor who has little to say in the final decision other than "Yes he knows how to do his job"

Perhaps, in your small company thats true. I work for a multi million dollar company, where things have to be done by an HR rep, not just some asshole boss, to avoid multimillion dollar lawsuits

11. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Naw, it wasnt like that. The basics of my email were basically that he as our boss, and as someone who has only been here for two months, is in no position, nor should he be telling us we are all worthless.

12. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Been in a simular situation, what you need to do is goto your boss and demand a steady contract, just say that you want to know where you are standing now, and want a steady contract. Otherwhise you are going to leave the company and get a job somewhere else. Don't allow the boss to have you on a convienant leash leaving you in insecurity and then dumping you(this happend to me). If you don't do this they are going to walk over you like a doormat over and over again. Stand strong on your rights, don't be defenseless.

13. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

wow, you are a fucking moron. You do realize the economy sucks and nobody is really hiring right ? I wonder who they will hire on as full time, the asshole or the 9 other good hard working temps.

fyi: reply all with a "bitch slap" is never a good career move.

14. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Well I wouldnt call all the other nine "hard working." Typical employee mindset maybe, but I would say out of the ten of us, 5 should hired on (myself included) 3 should be extended and 2 should be fired. Thats just me.

Look, we've gotten off track here. Its not so much about me personally. If they choose to extend me or fire me because of my personal beliefs in how I demand to be treated by my employer, then thats fine, I can live with that. Thats not the point. My question is whether or not I should go directly to HR and start asking them about when we are going to be finding out the changes in our employment status, or if thats a bad idea and just keep riding my boss about it.

15. Diesel66

you should start sending resumes out to other companies.

16. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

:rolleyes: Ugh. Im not worried about my job. Im pretty sure I'm not getting fired for my email.

17. Diesel66

sure as hell not gtting hired.

pull your head out of your ass, this is the adult world. You don't send off hateful emails to everyone in the company.

18. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Conclusion, stop jumping to them. I said my email was both respectful and professional. I simply used my words to throw everything my boss had just said, right back in his face. Once again, not the focus of discussion here. Focus on HR. Focus

19. planeh

planeh Guest

I'm not surprised you're just a temp. You have little understanding of business etiquette. there are ways of dealing with condescending super bosses while keeping your dignity intact and showing you have a backbone. But sending an email like you did isn't the way.

You could have had the entire entry level position agreeing with you, but the one that matters is the boss.

20. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I strongly disagree, a bad the economy is not an excuse to allow yourself to be treated like dirt.

21. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm nobody's doormat, but I also know how to conduct myself in the workplace, and being a bitch to your boss when you're a temp looking to get hired full time is kind of dumb.

22. 7960

7960 New Member

:rofl:

http://monster.com

you'ill need that soon.

23. jonno

jonno New Member

your attitude sucks.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  24. 7960

7960 New Member

Ok, focus......... back to HR.

I've worked for 5 person, 50 person, and 50,000 person companies, and one thing is always true....as long as the manager isn't breaking a law, the HR person does what the manager wants.

25. planeh

planeh Guest

does anyone actually know why HR is there for most companies? :hsugh: