Trouble Ticket Labels?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Dec 21, 2007.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

So every once in awhile a piece of hardware dies and I can't get to it right away. It gets piled up on the desk until I have a chance to look at it. By the time that happens, I have long since forgotten what the problem is. So I was thinking, wouldn't it be a good idea to tag the item as it comes in with whatever the problem is. Has anyone used such an idea? Or even have some google terms (I'm usually pretty good at this but my mind has gone blank on what to look for).

I'm looking for a low tech solution - something even the office workers can quickly fill in by hand.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

We use an electronic ticketing system.

what info do you actually want to record? The broken part? symptoms? urgency?

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

sounds almost like you want a marchandise label, something that can be either stuck on or on a string.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yes to all.

Once I actually start dealing with the item I do log it if it belongs to an asset. At this point I just want something that says when it was broken and if it still is. I've got a couple of HD's that I don't know that status of them right now - they might be broken, have data on them that I need to backup before wiping, or simply taken out of a computer that has been retired (or died). And it's not always me who brings the items in so I need something simple that would take 30 seconds to fill out.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Before I built the eTicket system we used a pre-printed 8.5" x 11" form. Have them fill it out with the particulars, and tape it to the machine, or wrap it around the drive.

Owner's name & location
    Who checked it in
    when it was checked in (date and time)
    what's wrong with it
    desired resolution
    deadline for repair

6. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

If you want to go very low-tech, make a 5.5x8x5/letter form and have em fill it out- if you want to go with something a little more traceable but low tech, try carbonless forms. The company I work for sells em, I'll help you develop one free if you'd like regardless of where you have em printed.

7. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

we use a small card with the basic information on it.

There is a string that is looped through the card and again through a screw or standoff hole in the card or board.

All it has is a number ( to track the part ) , A description of the problem, and if it is constant or an intermittant problem.

With that the tech puts the ticket number in his service call report and we can search the part and what is the matter with it when we send it in for repair.

I deal with imaging so this may not work for you, but it does work for us when we need to get boards repaired and why they need repaired.

8. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

3M 233+ masking tape (bright green) + sharpie FTMFW!

I've peeled it off of stuff after 3 months and it leaves no residue :bowdown: