Trouble Joining XP Pro to Server 2003 Domain?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by grocerylist, Apr 22, 2008.

1. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

I have a workstation that I'm having difficulty connecting to our domain at work. Here's the situation.

I have 2 PCs that I think might have effected one another. I had a workstation that was in place with the computer name 'Marketing'. I added a new PC and accidentally named it 'Marketing'. The new PC was able to join the Domain w/o any problems. The old PC however on reboot was unable to join the domain... I received an error 'This workstation is unable to connect to the domain because it isn't available or you're not properly setup (something to that extent)'.

When I realized that I had named both computers the same I corrected this, calling one Marketing and the other Marketing3. However I'm still unable to connect and I'm still receiving the same error message. The only way I'm able to login to the PC I'm having trouble with is by logging on directly to the PC itself instead of the domain.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Would I be able to leave this PC as a workstation just logging into itself while still browsing the shared network drives/printers? When I log into that machine I do see that it is on our company domain (not a workgroup) but I'm not able to browse the network drives and network printers.

I'm stuck and I'm not sure why I'm not able to connect to the domain with this workstation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

1. Take the old PC (the one you renamed I think) and disjoin it from the domain. (add to workgroup, reboot.) Make sure you know the local admin password, which it seems that you do.

2. Rejoin it to the domain.

The new PC basically hijacked the "Marketing" computer account on the domain. The old one which you renamed still believes it is part of the domain, but there is no "Marketing3" computer account on the domain so authentication fails.

3. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention that I did add the Marketing3 workstation in AD. However I'm still unable to connect to the Domain.

This is the error I receive:
    "Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear contact your System Administrator for assistance."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  4. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Did you add that account in AD manually or disjoin and rejoin the marketing3 computer to the domain?

5. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

I think I see what you're saying. I read too fast over adding it to a workgroup. Then rejoining it to the domain. I'll try that. Thanks

6. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

Tried and I'm back in business. Thanks a bunch!

7. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

:h5:

8. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

"contact your System Administrator for assistance."

being my own admin, this message piss's me off when i find something i cant fix right away? anyone else? im just like grrrrrr

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well in this case it's accurate - it doesn't want to say, "I've just logged an attempted security breach in the event log, but if you get the hell out of there, no one will catch you. Run!"