SRS Trouble in the Dorms

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by No27Blend, Nov 1, 2006.

1. No27Blend

No27Blend New Member

Im a a first year student right now living in the dorms on campus. Im 18 and have been smoking cigarettes for about a year now and weed for a couple of months. I told myself that I would give both up when I came here to school but that has obviously failed as my 3 floormates do both alot. It's always available to me and I always give in because they know that I smoked weed and enjoy it. I do enjoy it but it's too much with my workload. How can I tell them I want to stop? How can I stop?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You seem to think that people that struggle with the disease of addiction simply tell people in their lives that they don't drink and that's all there is to it. Well the reality is, that's not all there is to it. We can go buy beer or alcohol just like anyone else but we choose not to. We simply put off taking that first drink till someother time. We don't have to say we quit for good....people usually don't live up to that kind of standard. We simply say, we aren't going to drink right now. We just put off taking that first drink.

However, if you are an alcoholic like me, then that's just not enough to keep you going. I had to have help dealing with all the other shit in my life that I couldn't ignore when I was sober. That's why AA helps because it helps one deal with all that other stuff.

When I was getting sober, I thought I can't be an alcoholic because alcoholics crave alcohol and I don't crave it. Well what I had to realize is I didn't crave it because anytime I wanted it, I simply drank. I also didn't realize that changing my mind was part of it also. I thought it was natural to show up at a bar, determined not to drink, then leave drunk.....I just thought I changed my mind but I learned that it's not that simple.

I dunno if any of that helps but hope so.

3. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

maybe try hanging out with different people, or groups of people that don't smoke pot/cigs. Its important to not only hang out with your roomates freshman year anyway. Go join some clubs or something where people have stuff to do other than get high.

4. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Frankly, some of us just aren't good at managing our substance use. You may be great at juggling all your classes, work, time for friends, etc... but then you may be terrible at juggling dope in with those things. That was my problem. It may feel square to abstain but there is no real way to learn moderation of drugs.

5. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I just noticed you go to cal poly... man, that was where life went downhill really fast for me

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

lol...that's where my nephew's life took a downturn also. Thankfully, he got clean and sober and is now a certified pimp!! :)

Yeah I know your post was directed towards someone else...just thought I'd share.

7. Julez

Julez Active Member

A couple options I've considered.

Try and get new doormates. You can still hang with your buddies but if you get a straight person then likely temptations will dwindle and you can get new friends.

I absoutely could not manage school with pot so I had to make a stance and quit cold turkey(no going from daily to moderation, just plain no more).

I know how hard it is, most of my friends smoke pot and do terrible in school, but you need to look at life and say do I really want to know these people forever, and what do they bring to my friendship.

I've also tried to convice my closest friend(s) to stop with me but no success has come.
    If you find anything helpful please let me know but school is hardly from over for me(another 3 1/2 years in college).

8. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

Listen to this man, he speaks the absolute truth. I'd recommend that if you're roomies are smokers you ask to be moved, immediately. It may sound like a geek move now but you'll be much healthier and happier down the line.