Trouble finding a car.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by rengo, Sep 14, 2004.

1. rengo

rengo Are you ready to rock, BK broiler!?

My dad has decided that he wants to get me out of my Mazda b-series for some reason. He said he'll front 5000$ for a new car for me. I'm basically a broke college student with nothing else to add to that. So, I have 5000$ to buy a new car. After driving my mazda to 358,000 miles I want something that will be just as reliable.
    So far we've been close to buying a Suburu Outback Sport, which fell through but would've been a perfect car for me (although it was automatic). The other car was a 95 Honda Civic LX..which turned out to have a salvaged/rebuilt title..so we passed on that.

What I'm Looking for:
    - < 5000$
    - manual transmission
    - decent gas mileage
    - reliable (at least able to put 100k on it)
    - looks decent

Anyone have any ideas? Open to all suggestions.

Otherwise I'm just gonna be hoping my Mazda will hit 400k.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  2. MilkManDan007

MilkManDan007 New Member

I've got a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT I'll let you have for $6,500. My last one (a 1993) ran to 178,000 miles with no problems and the lady who has it now has racked up about 40,000 more, still with no engine or transmission problems.

It fits almost none of your criteria, but it is for sale.
    1997 Explorer XLT, 4.0L V6, 4x4, Auto, Power everything, newer tires, up to date on maintenance, no dings.dents, good glass, about 113,000 miles.

I also have a 1995 Toyota Tacoma pickup for sale. $9,500 (a little more expensive), 5 speed, 2.7L 4cylinder, 4x4, only 90,000 miles. Custom color matched locking topper, new all terrain tires, recent tune up and full service. Nice aftermarket CD player and speakers.

If you're interested, drop me a line. Scottish Penguin @ AOL . COM

Let me know if you're interested.

3. rengo

Edited first post to include: Decent Gas Mileage. :)

No, but thanks for the suggestions, trying to steer clear of trucks/suvs, I really don't have any use for the space. Something smaller.

4. MilkManDan007

MilkManDan007 New Member

The Explorer gets about 22 on the highway (driving 85 for an hour each way to work) and the Tacoma gets about 25 in the same situation. Not crappy, but not wonderful either.

5. ae86andkp61

ae86andkp61 Guest

1.Since looks are a priority of yours, and looks are subjective, pick your favorite body style of Toyota from the 90's: Camry, Corolla, Corolla coupe, Corolla wagon, Celica, Celica convertible, MR2, Tercel, Tercel coupe, Cressida (sedan only for manual)
    2.Go look at a few
    3.Buy the one that seems best cared for/in the best condition
    4.Post pics
    5.???
    6.Profit all the way past 250K miles!

6. rengo

Actually looked at a white Cressida this weekend, in real good condition. Never really heard of it before though, so my dad was a little weary. He knows quite a bit about cars (being a truck mechanic) but doesn't know much about reliability for quite a few cars. Also looked at a Suburu SVX also..never seen one before, not bad looking. Just don't know, because they seem kind of rare (around North Dakota anyway).

7. Meekrob

Meekrob ANI-MAHRU !!!

SVX might be kinda pricey as they are pretty rare, and I would imagine parts would $$$$ and harder to come by, esp. in Dakota

8. rengo

Update:
    I found a car. 1999 Mazda Protege LX, 5 speed manual, 88,000 miles, for 4800$. Awesome condition. Picking it up later this week. I'll post pictures of it, along with stereo install. So f'n excited..unbelievable.

:nikko:

9. Drag On

Drag On Guest

Congrats. You at UND or NDSU? I was going to advise a Civic, but Protege should be fine. Newer Mazdas arent known to be as reliable as the older ones, the mid to late 90s they're quality started going down some. But I'm sure you'll be fine. Congrats on the purchase.

10. rengo

I'm at UND. Yah, I was looking for a Civic at first, but couldn't find one up north here that I liked. This Mazda is super clean and I would've been stupid to pass it up. Consumer reports gave it a reliability award, so it should be pretty good. Probably won't stand up to my 91 mazda..but I'll give it a shot.