trouble changing out mobo and using same winxp pro drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Oct 23, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

let me first start off by saying that i have several valid copies of windows xp pro, xp pro sp1 and sp2. all with volume license keys. these were legally obtained for free from my college for being enrolled in it classes.

the problem i see is that if i need to change out the mobo on a computer, windows will not boot.

it will get past the boot loader screen (black screen with white lines on the bottom)
    then it comes to the windows screen with the little scrolling thing in the middle.

then it bluescreens on me. it's done this with several computers. it seems as though i cannot change out a mobo on a computer and maintain the same hard drive without reformatting.

i did try throwing in the windows cd and having it run a repair, but it will still bluescreen. some type of illegal error.

i don't seem to have this trouble with win2000 or winxp home. win xp home boots fine and it just wants me to activate it, which is fine, because a simple phonecall solves that problem.

cliffs - winxp pro will bluescreen when mobo is changed out to a new one. windows repair doesn't fix it

2. dorkultra

bump it!

3. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

What does the bluescreen say?

Windows does not take well to major hardware changes.

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

If you switch the IDE controller driver to the default "Standard PCI IDE Controller" before switching mobos it will usually work.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's a driver problem. The chipset on your new motherboard must be different. Try running a Windows Repair operation from the install CD after you swap the motherboard. That should force Windows to redetect the motherboard's hardware without wiping out your files and settings.

6. dorkultra

i've done that in the past and it didn't work

although last night i tried it by swapping a drive from another computer in. it worked. wierd, but at least i know it will work now