SRS Trouble at home with parents

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Diesel Freak, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Diesel Freak

Diesel Freak ♂♂ Closet Crew OT Supporter

So, I'm 24, and my parents paid for me to go to rehab over 4 months ago. I have been sober for 107 days today. My mom just had a little conversation with me, basically accusing me of being irresponsible for reasons unknown. She wouldn't elaborate a whole lot. She thinks that since I've been through rehab, that I'm supposed to fit her perception of a "responsible adult." This makes no sense to me. I have been sober since rehab on my own. I guess she thinks that since I haven't chosen to go to meetings and take advantage of other support networks, that I'm not responsible, and that I should move into a half-way house because I need more "structure."

After I told her that she needs to learn the difference between sobriety and responsibility, she said that I need to find another place to live. I said fine, so be it.

Any thoughts? Does sobriety = responsibility?

</rant>

2. Diesel Freak

Diesel Freak ♂♂ Closet Crew OT Supporter

In addition to the above post, she's telling me things like "we spent $50,000..." blah blah blah. That's all well and good, and I honestly appreciate that, but don't hold it over my head like I'm supposed to worship her as God or something now.

I've gotten myself sober, with their support, and I'm grateful for that. But bitching at me every day about what I'm doing with my life (apparently working 3 jobs isn't enough, I'm supposed to spend family time at home and help with yard work too) is just making me want to get shit-faced plastered. And no, I'm not going to succumb to the pressure and go out and get drunk.

3. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

this would be a good topic for a meeting.

4. Create

Create :free at last:

It would be a good topic for a meeting.

I came home for a short stink after a bad breakup, immediately followed by my job moving 100miles to shit-town sent my life reeling. I was 24 in fact. It was the worst decision I ever made.

Get a small, simple place of your own. As soon as I re-established myself as self-supporting, I began to receive respect again from my parents.

5. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

Sounds like you're the same person as before, only dry. They figured that once you sobered up it might spark some motivation for you to do something with your life.

Personally, I like going to meetings. I get to socialize with people just like me. I work the steps and deal with the issues that made me start drinking in the first place. I get to help the new guys who were just like me a few months ago.

Sometimes I think it's a shame that you have to be an alcoholic to go to meetings.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

No 13th-steppers in your meetings, eh?

7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

just work the steps and you will end up changing anyways. fo it for you, not for them.

8. wcp0816

wcp0816 New Member

just remember this shit doesnt happen over night. you didnt go to sleep one day and wake up an alcoholic. it took time. and its gonna take time to recover. the biggest thing is try not to overwhelm yourself with too much. its a easy way to slip back into addiction. just try one thing at a time til you feel comfortable moving on to another.