GUN Trooper pleads guilty possesion of unreg'd SMG

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jul 26, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper pleads guilty in gun case
    By Greg Jonsson
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/26/2006

One of three Illinois State Police officers charged this year with illegally possessing submachine guns pleaded guilty Tuesday, authorities said.

Senior Master Trooper Greg Mugge, 52, of Jerseyville, pleaded guilty to one charge of possession of an unregistered machine gun, according to federal prosecutors. Mugge, a 21-year veteran of the department who was assigned to District 18 in Litchfield, faces a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. His sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 27.

Mugge could not be reached Tuesday, and an attorney representing the trooper declined to comment on the plea, made in the federal district court in East St. Louis.

Mugge and two Illinois State Police officers from District 11 in Collinsville were placed on paid leave after they were charged earlier this year with having submachine guns at their homes. As Illinois State Police officers, they are allowed to handle submachine guns legally for their jobs, but they could not have them at home, according to prosecutors. Submachine guns fire a steady stream of bullets with a single squeeze of the trigger.

Mugge and the others, Sgt. James V. Vest of O'Fallon and Special Agent John Yard of Collinsville, had pleaded not guilty earlier this year. Another man, Dr. Harold Griffiths, 69, of Spaulding, Ill., was charged with lending one of the weapons to Yard, who said he fired it and gave it back to Griffiths, who then lived in Glen Carbon.

The case was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The ATF interviewed the officers in late December. At that time, according to court documents, Mugge admitted on videotape to possessing a Colt rifle that had been converted to function in a fully automatic mode. Mugge told the ATF that he had obtained the submachine gun in the late 1970s or early 1980s from a licensed dealer who is now dead, according to the court documents.

Mugge and the others voluntarily turned guns over to the ATF.

Mugge's gun was not registered, and the Illinois State Police had not authorized Mugge to possess the gun, the ATF said in court filings. The guns are legal for those who pass a background check, pay a fee and submit the proper forms.

In an unusual move, 10 Metro East police chiefs issued a letter in February urging leniency for the accused officers. Two state senators and two county sheriffs also signed the letter. They said 10 years in prison would be excessive punishment for law enforcement officers who had worked to make citizens safer.

Belleville Police Chief David Ruebhausen drafted the letter and said Tuesday he stands by what the letter says.

"I did not nor do I now condone illegal activity," he said. "My point is that sentencing these guys to prison does not protect the public nor does it serve the public. It would serve no purpose

Nice to know were all judged by the same standards :hsugh:

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I hope they nail them to the wall. Its a shame.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

wow, it looks to me like for once, the newspaper didnt make any factual error about the firearms, I think thats a first.....

4. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Sadly I have to agree, they shouldn't get any special treatment because they are cops. They broke the law and just like anyone else, they should do the time. If it's wrong for them, then it's wrong for any other person with similar backgrounds.
    Unfortunately they will both probably be killed or have to be moved to solitary to keep them alive.

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

why? It seems to me that if they did go to prison, they would not be any where near hardened criminals. I would be minimum security, after all, these guys pled guilty, AND the volutarily turned the stuff in AND it was a non violent felony :dunno:

6. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

If they end up letting them off without prison time then they sure as hell better revamp the penalties for everyone else who's caught possessing illegal NFA weapons. Cops should NOT be held to a double standard for any reason whatsoever. Seriously, 10 years and $250,000 is a bullshit punishment for ANYONE who has commited NO OTHER CRIME.

7. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

They should be held in the same reguard as everyone else. Nice to know that other police and even senators like to protect their own. What he did was wrong, and since he was a police officer himself, he knew it was wrong. If he doesn't get prison time, then no one else should ever get prison time for illegal possession of an NFA firearm, that cooperates with the authorities.

we should just repeal the 1986 ban and all would be good in the world.

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think the laws are bullshit, but they were cops they should know better they should get the maximum penalty. If they actually do any time they wont be going to Sing Sing or Attica the judge will send them to one of those white collar prisons where they watch tv and play ping pong all day.

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I seriously doubt these guys will do any time. These laws are total bullshit.

10. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

If anything, the officers should be held to a higher standard than an ordinary citizen as they are supposed to be representatives of established law and order.

11. Artyboy

:werd:

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dallas Sheriff Demotes Aide over 'Tommy gun'

Updated: July 26th, 2006 12:19 PM EDT
    KEVIN KRAUSE
    The Dallas Morning News

Jul. 26--A high-ranking Dallas County Sheriff's Department official who had an unregistered 1940s-era Thompson submachine gun for the past six years without paperwork was demoted one rank to captain Tuesday after an internal investigation found he violated policy.

Larry Locke's demotion from assistant chief deputy is effective immediately. His new assignment in the detention division will begin Monday.

Capt. Locke, a 26-year veteran of the department, did not follow procedures for the chain of custody when the machine gun was turned over to him about six years ago, the Sheriff's Department said.

The "Tommy gun" should have been listed as found property and signed into the agency's property room for safekeeping. A sheriff's news release said that if no owner comes forward, such weapons are typically destroyed or otherwise disposed of.

The gun turned up during an audit ordered by Sheriff Lupe Valdez.

She promoted Capt. Locke to assistant chief deputy shortly after she took office last year.

She said she will decide soon whom to promote to replace Capt. Locke, who had been assigned to general services, which includes patrol and warrants. She said that because of the nature of the case, she did not fire him.

"It happened six years ago, and there's contradictory statements," Sheriff Valdez said.

In a written statement, she said disciplining him was difficult.

"I have grown to know him as a valued member of the department and a friend," Sheriff Valdez said. "The former chief made an error in judgment, and it was something neither I nor the department could overlook."

When she was campaigning for office, Sheriff Valdez pledged to restore public trust in the department after a lengthy investigation into the relationship between the former sheriff and a jail vendor.

Capt. Locke said last month that he kept the gun in his personal locker in his office after two officers turned it over to him. He said his boss at the time, Larry Forsyth, then the executive chief deputy, told him to lock it up for safekeeping.

Capt. Locke said he had the only key to his locker.

The machine gun was found in a gun case next to a garbage bin behind Ray's Sporting Goods in Dallas, and the store owner said he called the Sheriff's Department to come get it.

It had never been registered with the federal government, as required.

Capt. Locke was the captain in charge of the now-defunct drug unit when he took custody of the gun about six years ago.

The gun has since been returned to the property room, and Sheriff Valdez has sent paperwork to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to register it. Sheriff Valdez said she would like to display the machine gun for the public.

A separate investigation into the disappearance of two handguns that belonged to the drug unit is ongoing.

Well this one only got demoted for taking a thompson

13. striker754

striker754 Chillin

hurray for spending my tax money on going after victimless crime!! Let's see: What started/caused Ruby Ridge, Waco, and the OKC Bombing? :eek: the National Firearms Act did!

Aren't you glad we spend your tax money to pay ATF agents to set up law abiding, country living, hurt no one citizens like Randy Weaver?

Got a letter in to Congresswoman Musgrave from CO, shes really pro gun. If she can't get anything through Congress, I am seriously debating a lawsuit regarding the NFA if people help pitch money and lawyer in.

14. Artyboy

In other words "I don't want to fuck over one of my friends" :ugh2:

15. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I wish I just got demoted instead of jail time :hs:

16. Artyboy

The more reasons that the feds have to come after us the easier it is to make us look like bad guys.

17. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Hope you got deep pockets or people pitch in a lot of money.

18. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Couldnt they have bought one legally, or atleast the police station?

19. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I have been researching, but cant really find lots of info on how the courts work. Its 250 dollars to bring a case to the federal court. I have no clue what costs happen after that. Anyone tell me?

Its either get shit fixed through the legislative side or the judicial side. Its a wash on which one will work. Gonna try the legislative side first.

20. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

An original Auto Ordinance Thompson submachine gun would cost upwards of $40,000.

21. BigBadJohn

Couldnt the police station just have arranged for a confiscated smg to be donated to the police? I mean its not like they are being put to good use when theyre destroyed.

22. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The troopers in orignal post sounds like they had colt 9mm ar with a DIAS, police dept's can buy them legally I think the colt 9mm m16's run around $1500 for departments to buy, individual officers can not own them though.

23. BigBadJohn

Then why the hell didnt he just buy a dias legally? Isnt it legal to get a class 3 license then put a dias in an ar?

24. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A transferable DIAS is going for close to 10 grand these days. And there in Il anyway dont think class3 is allowed there. If you mean get one on Dept letterhead there state police I doubt there boss would go for that, might be able to do something like that in a small dept where your buddies with the chief..

25. gyeagle1

gyeagle1 New Member

You mean Bubba wont get to Ass rape them like the little bitchs they are

NO FUCKING JUSTICE MAN NONE .................. Rant off