Trojan.Vundo

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gsxspeeddemon, Feb 12, 2008.

1. gsxspeeddemon

gsxspeeddemon New Member

My moms computer has the Trojan.Vundo virus. She bought Norton anti-virus and it says it removes it, however two days later it shows up again. I pretty sure its not removing. I have tried doing some searching on how to fix this but I havnt had much look. Does anyone know how to remove this virus? Anyone willing to help.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

get rid of norton. Norton is a virus, itself.

You can try AVG. If that doesn't work then there are ways to get it clean, but I'd recommend a format/re-install.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

4. Chris

Chris New Member

5. etech

etech New Member

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What etech said. It keeps coming back for one (or more) of three reasons:

1) It's reinstalling itself from System Restore as soon as it's deleted;
    2) There's a hole in the firewall that's allowing the virus to be re-downloaded;
    3) It's in your mom's email and she keeps opening the same email for whatever reason.

7. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

OMG, I just got this thing. What a nightmare. :(

I'm trying a few things posted here, hopefully it'll get rid of it.

8. aimfox

aimfox New Member

I got the same thing, it came from emails.

I got this eliminated. Download AntiVir Anti-Virus, it's free. Update the definition and scan it. Once it detects it, click quarantine and it should be gone.

9. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

i have this trojan on my laptop as well, i am planning on rolling back my computer to how it was when i got it (I don't have a reformat disk). If i turn off system restore will that get rid of my ability to "roll back" my computer?

The reason I'm rolling back my T60 is that I'm putting in a new HD, and more RAM, and getting rid of all miscellaneous things that I don't need. If I leave this trojan (it doesn't seem to be doing much) on my laptop then roll it back will this get rid of the virus then anyways?

Also, without a reformat CD what is the best way to "reformat" my computer?

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Rolling back won't get rid of spyware. No self-respecting spyware forgets to infect the System Restore points.

Yes, shutting off System Restore will wipe out the restore points, but since they're already infected, they're useless anyway.

11. GreyRS

GreyRS Your ignorance cramps my conversation.

go to bleepingcomputer.com and search for combofix.exe. I have used this on computers at work as well as on those of customers. Like etech suggested erlier though- turn off System Restore and boot into safe mode, then run combofix.

12. GreyRS

You can not reformat a computer without an OS disc. Or at least I know of no way to do it.

13. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

sorry, i guess what i said earlier was a little confusing. lenovo partitions off part of the HD so that you can perform a system restore during start up which is essentially reformatting

14. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

or at least i think it is

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Sounds like quite a headache to remove this trojan. I haven't used Windows in a while, but I was over at a friend's house and he was having network problems on his Vista machine. I got that working but his computer seems a lil sluggish. I suspect he might have some malware, but not this Vundo. I plan on doing a full scan soon. What is the best way to prevent from getting Vundo? From what I am reading, most/all of you are running some kind of antivirus, and are still getting infected by this trojan.

16. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I ran into this a few days ago and that combofix didn't do shit. There was some specific vundo remover that told me I didn't have it installed yet I had the DLL and it was loading ... hmmm nice tools. I ended up booting from a boot CD (Ultimate Boot CD) and removing the load points from the registry. It was in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs key. I went thru the other standard startup keys and removed the stuff that wasn't needed from there and removed all the nasty DLLs from the system32 folder. Alot of the newer stuff is able to alter the date/time of the file so sorting that system 32 folder by date isn't cutting it anymore. You gotta go thru and look for the bad stuff now. :(

After all that the std scans with ad-aware, spybot and hijackthis and she was up and running again. :big grin:

17. GreyRS

There are a few different versions of Vundo and one that has Smitfraud with it. I have used a tool called Vundofix which worked if it was only vundo, but I found that the most up to date version of Combofix worked on all vundo related trojans. Sorry it did not work for you. Those bastards are making the trojans harder to get rid of.

As for how people are getting them, some by e-mail and some by hitting sites both legit and not so legit sites.

18. GreyRS

If they created a system restore partition when you bought it, you should be able to download and print the instructions on how to do the restore from their site. With HPs, I believe it is hit F12 during initialization and it walks you through the process. Don't quote me on that though.