Triumph Daytona 675

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by machine81, Oct 17, 2005.

1. machine81

machine81 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wackit: :wackit::wackit::wackit::wackit:

There was an article in Motorcyclist this month. Pretty impressive bike. Extremely narrow. Splits the difference between a 600cc and a 750cc.

363lbs dry
    123bhp
    53lbft

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2664.aspx

2. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

That is one gorgeous bike.

3. Frequency

Frequency New Member

i'll take 3 in every color

4. V!

V! New Member

Very nice, glad to see more bikes going to the undertail exhaust, looks so much nicer

5. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Nice bike, looks like 636 thou
    636 is still better lookin

6. machine81

machine81 New Member

The Scorched Yellow color is amazing. It reminds me of a color that Chip Foose used one time called Butterscorched. I'm more of naked bike kinda guy, but this thing is sex on wheels.

7. Frequency

Frequency New Member

fuck undertail.
    under the bike is where its at :wiggle:

8. V!

V! New Member

Noise Violations.......:hsd:

9. machine81

machine81 New Member

a la Gixxer 600/750. Nice.

Even Buell does it pretty well.

I do prefer the under-bike exhaust, but the tri-pipe undertail on this thing is :cool:

10. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I like it!!

Those triples sound so cool.

11. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

And I thought the 650 was hot :drool: :drool:

12. Frequency

Frequency New Member

im talkign under the bike like buell and kawi's 650

13. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

$$$? availability???

14. machine81

machine81 New Member

Price wasn't set yet. I think the Motorcycle acticle said they were shooting for sub $9k. The acticle also said that they were going to keep the availibility pretty low off the bat. Around 500 units for the first year. They just want to drive up the demand by keeping the supply low. The following year they're going to do full volume production. I sure it'll be on par with the rest of Triumph's line.

Next year they also speculated a 675 speed triple!!! I love the naked bikes.

15. V!

V! New Member

That doesn't make any sense, they are looking to keep the price low, yet they are going to restrict supply to create excess demand?

That doesn't fit into any economic framework, you lower prices to sell more
    You reduce supply in order to raise demand, and in turn, raise the price

16. machine81

machine81 New Member

Right, but...

I think the idea is that they want to set the MSRP low so that people mentally lump it and compare it with the Jap bikes and not necessarily Ducati, Aprilia, BMW, etc.

Also, just because they set the MSRP at that doesn't mean that it will be sold for that. I'm sure if there's only 500 bikes it'll be a lot higher. However, in subsequent years, when they start making more of them, the MSRP will be similar and they will actually be sold for that. Plus, when the out-the-door price starts coming down people will think they are getting a good deal and this will further drive demand.

That's my $0.02

17. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I'm not sure what you're getting at here unless you are talking about a fire. Maintain your bike and it won't be an issue.

Under bike exhaust is, IMHO, the best place to locate something as heavy as a muffler. You keep the mass centralized to give the most neutral handling possible. Alternatively, it could also be used to move weight forward to help with front end stability at speed or to keep the nose down during acceleration.

Buell has been doing it for years and been getting made fun of.

Eric Buell must feel smug as hell right now with Kawasaki doing it (The new Ninja 650R) as well as Yamaha with the new R6 (that stubby little pipe is at the end of an under-bike muffler)

I'd still consider a Buell, but I just hate the H-D v-twin. If I could drop the motor from a VTX in a Buell, I'd be more than happy.

18. machine81

machine81 New Member

What's wrong with the HD 1200? :dunno: I'm not a Harley guy, but an air-cooled v-twin is among the most reliable engines around.

19. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

The imbalance of the engine combined with air cooling (not ideal for a sportbike) and the general harshness of the motor. The belt drive is questionable as well. Its fine on a tourer, but c'mon...give us a chain for a sportbike.

Its really not that difficult to build a decent inline-4 or even a better twin. Buell could be the American nemesis of Ducati's everywhere, but the HD motors are limiting them. If the motor company would put a little money and R-D into a new motor for Buell, they would have a much better bike on their hands...well, they wouldn't have them for long once the public discovered they could have a really attractive American bike that hangs with the best.

20. machine81

machine81 New Member

Imbalance how? Are you talking about the 270 degree firing order? Aren't the sv650/1000 and RC51 set up the exact same way but w/ liquid cooling? Also, what's your beef with belt drives? I've never ridden one. Do they stretch out? Do they give the bike a more detached feel as compared with a chain?

I like your idea about competing head on with Ducati. Keep in mind though that Ducati still uses a lot of air-cooled L-twins. However, in their sportbikes the do use the liquid-cooling. I don't think there's any way Buell will ever get rid of their air-cooled engines. It's "tradition" (kind of). However, it would be cool if they offered at least one bike with the liquid-cooling. Maybe it would be a good idea to leave the Lightning air-cooled, but switch the sportier Firebolt over to liquid.

21. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I believe the H-D 45° twin's firing interval is 315/405 and the 90° twins from Suzuki, Honda and Ducati are 270/405. (http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-50519.html is where I got the firing intervals from. The long post about 2/3's of the way down listed them along with figures from several other motors)

The angle of the motor is another problem. A single pin crank coupled with 45° cylinder angle has primary balance problems. You'll notice H-D finally went to rubber mounts on later Twin Cam 88's and finally added counter-balancers.

The "tradition" of the air cooled motor is fine although where I ride, I'd much rather have water cooling. Vegas summers are brutally hot.
    Buell could do a lot better simply by taking the front cylinder and twisting it another 45° to give themselves a 90° engine.

They won't do it though. The stink of it is that while Buell is trying to appeal to the Harley lovers, Harley lovers don't usually like sport bikes. Milwaukee has a chance to build a new engine that isn't radically different from what they have now AND have a decent shot at competing with the rest of the world.
    If Buell's came with a 90° twin with a proper firing interval, I'd buy one.

I wonder if H-D would ever allow Buell to just buy motors from Rotax? A decently balanced 60° twin like an Aprilia would be nice too. FYI, the v-rod is a 60° design.

22. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

:werd: