A&P Tripods

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by *Charlie Wax*, Apr 7, 2004.

1. *Charlie Wax*

*Charlie Wax* New Member

for the people who use tripods with there camera id like to know what brand name you guys use and how many inches it extends, and the price. thinkin about buying one. thanks[​IMG]

2. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Manfrotto are popular, that'd be the first brand I'd look at, I know a few people who use their stuff and they're regarded as the benchmark AFAIK...

www.manfrotto.com

They have many types of tripod and heads that can be used with them... They won't be cheap though.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  3. johnson

johnson New Member

What price range are you looking at? What size? Compact, heavy, mini, etc. How much weight do you want it to hold? What type of head? Some names to look into are Manfrotto/Bogen (theyre the same but with different model numbers. Bogen for USA), Gitzo, Slik, Velbon, and more. I dont have any answers but those are some things to consider when looking for a good tripod.

A search for "tripod" on this forum will bring up plenty of results.
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

The two options I ended up with were the Velbon 343E and Slik Sprint Pro. Both are lightweight compact tripods with really good user reviews. After doing more comparisons, ill be getting the Sprint Pro (in black) soon.

Velbon 343E review
    Slik Sprint Pro thread
    Sprint Pro at pc connection

Slik Sprint Pro
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maximum Height [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]64.3" (163.5 cm) [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Minimum Height [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6.4" (16.2 cm) [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Folded Length [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18.9" (48 cm) [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Load Capacity [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5.5 lb (2.5 kg) [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leg Sections [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leg Lock Type [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Flip levers [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Independent Leg Spread [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Center Column Sections [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Center Column Type [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sliding (Reversible, with tension control) [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Center Brace [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spiked Feet [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Head Type [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ball Head [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Head Mount Thread Size [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4"-20 [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.9 lb (860 g ) [/font][​IMG][​IMG]

Velbon 343E
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maximum Height [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]62.4" (158.5 cm) [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maximum HT. w/o Column [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]52.7" (133.9 cm) [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Minimum Height [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16.6" (42.2 cm) [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Folded Length [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18.0" (45.7 cm) [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Load Capacity [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8.00 lb (3.63 kg) [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leg Sections [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leg Lock Type [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Flip levers [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Independent Leg Spread [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Center Column Sections [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Center Column Type [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rapid sliding [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Center Brace [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spiked Feet [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Head Type [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ballhead [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Head Mount Thread Size [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4"-20 [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.00 lb (0.91 kg) [/font][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  4. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

I currently use the Gitzo 1128 with a Kirk BH-3 head... I regret getting this because it does not extend high enough. I plan to sell the 1128 and get one that goes higher. If you want I can sell you my Gitzo... you can check it out at www.gitzo.com

5. *Charlie Wax*

*Charlie Wax* New Member

i dont really have a good camera (3.2megapixel sony dsc-p32)
    my budget is somehwere around 60dollars, and something compact, i think i might get the silk skint pro but is it universal?(fit into my camera) and does anyone know how much the velbon is?

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Velbon is the same price. $70 on www.bhphotovideo.com. Any tripod will work with your camera since they use the same thread size. 1/4x20.

7. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

We have a couple of Velbon tripods, and for normal amateur use, I don't think you'll really go far wrong...