A&P Tripod ball mount/carbon fiber v. advice needed

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Dragon129, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dragon129

Dragon129 New Member

About to pull the trigger on a 430 ex II for my 50d and a 77mm B+W polarizer filter at B&H. I'm thinking about getting a high quality tripod.

I made the mistake and purchased a cheap sunpak tripod a few months ago and it is horribly unstable. I'm looking for a really good ball mount tripod that support my biggest lens Sigma 170-500 telephoto. What are the benefits of getting an all-in-one ball mount tripod solution vs buying the ball head and tripod separately? Carbon fiber worth the money? I heard Manfrotto is good but want to get an idea of what OTAP photogs are using.

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i have the 055cxpro4 and the 488rc0 head (by manfrotto)

its more than strong/stable enough for my d700/grip and 80-200

i've also used my 400mm on it a few times to shoot the moon, but normally i won't let go of the 400mm if its on there, just in case, since its right at the upper limit of the supported weight range.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-055CXPRO4-Section-Magnesium-Castings/dp/B001GIPR62

how much does the sigma 170-500 weigh?

CF isn't really that much better, its just lighter, so if you travel/hike then its worth it, otherwise theres not much difference and aluminum is cheaper.

3. Dragon129

Dragon129 New Member

Thanks for this :bowdown:. The Sigma weighs about 47 oz. so should be fine. This tripod that you linked looks really nice but a little more than I wanted to spend. Yeah I intend to do more hiking in the spring/summer next year. I may have to go with the aluminum vs carbon fiber to save some money.

4. tun

tun Active Member

-sturdy
    -lightweight
    -cheap

you can only get 2 of the 3 when it comes to tripods :o

i have a manfrotto 488rc2 and 055xb which is sturdy and cheap, but at 5~ pounds, not really that lightweight :hs:

5. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I have the Feisol CT-3441S and it is awesome. Compact, light, very sturdy, and much cheaper than the comparable Gitzo (although I still want a Gitzo someday just for the anti-leg rotation).

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Traveler_Class.htm

Pair that with a high quality ballhead like one from Kirk, Markins, Really Right Stuff, etc and you'll be in good shape. I'm currently using a Markins Q3T, which is awesome, but I used to have a Kirk BH-3 which was also very nice. The RRS ballheads are quite expensive, but have excellent reputations.

My setup cost a little over $500, so if that's too much I'd go with one of the Manfrotto setups like most people on here use.