Triplets of Belleville

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by clavus, Jul 16, 2004.

1. clavus

clavus Guest

This is definitely one of the more eccentric movies that I've seen in awhile, and definitely deviates from my usual preferences, but I gotta say that I really enjoyed watching this one. I think the appeal to me was the reliance on visuals to tell the story with minimal dialogue, which allows viewers to develop their own impressions. The music throughout was well placed, too.

I was just curious to see if anyone felt that the triplets themselves seemed to be more secondary as opposed to the main theme of the grandmother's attempts to connect with her grandson?

I thought the artist's caricatures of Americans were hilarious, too....

2. BrandX

BrandX New Member

fantastic movie. I thought the grandmother and the triplets worked together to present the female persona (older females at that) as the protagonists in this movie. That theory goes hand in hand with the way American were portrayed in that movie (fat, uncaring aholes) as females as heroines is by no means the standard in american film and/or LIFE. You do know this movie was made by French Canadians right? I seriously loved this film, it's very special

3. clavus

clavus Guest

I did know that the movie was done by French Canadians, who did a superb job of relaying a story that didn't conform to the american standards you mentioned. I think that staying away from the "cookie cutter" template we've grown used to for movie themes and plots is why this movie struck a chord with me. It leaves the impression that the bond of family can lead one to accomplish what would normally seem to be an insurmountable task.

4. BrandX

BrandX New Member

...we are total nerds for real

5. clavus

clavus Guest

yeah, I admit it...but it's a Friday, and posting here sure as hell beats trying to debug someone else's database code