Triple Display - Extended Desktop in XP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KJB, Mar 3, 2008.

1. KJB

KJB Guest

Okay... Here's what I'm using:

1 x GeForce 8600 GT
    2 x Dell 1907FP
    1 x Samsung 40" LCD (HDTV)

Is there any way to do an extended desktop, but with 3 monitors instead of two? Idealistically, I would like to have the Samsung LCD as the 3rd device so I can just drag Windows Media Player to it and pop movies on it...

So far I have tried doing 2x VGA outputs to the Dell Monitors and S-Video to the TV. (Obviously this will not be great TV video) but it only lets me select two devices to use at a time...

I now have a DVI->HDMI cord going into the Samsung LCD with the other DVI to my Dell Monitor; extended desktop with the TV as the slave.

I don't want my other monitor to just sit there like this on my desktop though: :sadwavey:

I'm debating using a DVI splitter and splitting the TV/Slave-Dell Monitor and just changing the resolution depending on which device I want to use... but that would be a pain in the ass...

Any solutions?

Any suggestions?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

3. KJB

KJB Guest

I had a Matrox and I sold it. I dont like them. I want three recognized monitors, not one fake one split up into three pieces.

I only have one video card slot?
    Unless I can get a different video card for those "White Slots" are those PCI slots? Do they make PCI Video Cards?

4. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

yes they make pci video cards and if you don't like the matrox solution that's probably the best way to go.

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

i set up 3 samsung 19" monitors on my dads HP. He has an x1300pro (pci-x x16) and another x1300 (pci-x x1).

You could use your 8600gt for two monitors and buy a pci card (they do make them), and use it for your third monitor.

Keep in mind the pci cards are usually older and some of them do not have drivers compatible for Vista edit: You're using vista disregard! (if that's what you're using). Possibly try to stay in the same brand (nvidia) and same family if that is possible for ease of install.

Good luck (I'm sure other people have better ideas than doing this).

6. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

They still make and support PCI as well as AGP video cards. The drivers are not any different from the PCI-Express versions (from my experience with them).

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

right you are. However I was trying to use an old PCI ATI 9200se and there were no compatible drivers for that card in Vista.

just the problems I ran into. I am not the computer guru like many in here though.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes works fine.

9. KJB

KJB Guest

Fuck yeah. I didn't know they made PCI 2.0 cards. Makes sense though. DUH.

This shit is dope now...

Ive got my setup like this:

19" DELL MONITOR (Extended to the right) 19" DELL MONITOR (Extended UP) Samsung 40" LCD 720P

Shit is dope. I can surf dual view and watch a ripped movie on my LCD without changing any settings on anything.

THANKS ALL!

THATS WHAT I FUGGIN WANTED FTW!

<3 OT

10. KJB

KJB Guest

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not impressed.

stop stealing shit, btw.

12. KJB

KJB Guest

wut did I steal?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

14. KJB

KJB Guest

:ugh: Ripped from the DVD's that Ive been collecting since DVD's came out...

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

also known as ILLEGAL.

16. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Not always.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

always.

it's a double-edged sword. First of all, you cannot legally break the encryption. Secondly, creating a 2nd copy of the product without permission is a big no-no.

18. TheRider

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

20. KJB

KJB Guest

21. TheRider

Sure, and how do you know he isn't also, before making a blanket statment that ripping dvd's is illegal. As long as you rip and include the encryption you will likely prevail in court citing this as precedance.

For some reason you always assume the worst and make this huge statements that simply don't take into account all possiblilities.

22. KJB

KJB Guest

:h5: again.

Not breaking the encryption. Just making ISO's of my DVD's and playing them as they would be played in my DVD player.

23. TheRider

Let me also say that if he built into the product he is using a physical media checker that forced verification of the physical item from a changer prior to playing the ripped copy he would not only comply with all the legal issues he would comply with what the CSS foundation really wants but hasn't been able to force legally thus removing all doubt, again not that you took that into consideration.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Not really. You'll get drained financially, and even then only 1 documented case of a win? Everyone else lost.. big!

You can never take into account all possibilities. Someone will always get hurt. If you think otherwise, you're an idiot.

25. TheRider

You didn't say it would drain him, you said it was illegal. You are simply wrong on that point.

I didn't say he could afford to fight it, I simply stated it isn't illegal. Hence you being WRONG, no other battle has been fought where encyption has been preserved that I'm aware of, you have any court decision documents on that? All the rest stripped encyption, hence their illegality.