A&P Trip Pics...Antarctica

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by motordavid, Jan 28, 2008.

1. motordavid

motordavid RetiredBum

Photos of a trip one doesn't see every day: 10 day cruise from Tierra Del Fuego to the Antarctic Peninsula. Amazing and nearly indescribable.
    Awesome scale and clarity to the views.

The Flickr link is a collection of 5 batches and I promise they are not
    goofy "vacay pics". ~120 pics edited down from nearly a thou...
    Thanks for looking...
    Best Regards,
    motordavid

http:[email protected]/collections/72157603779297169/

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Fantastic shots

I really like this one:
    [​IMG]

can you send me the original? or full size?

3. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Pic of penguin with a penny on it's head? :squint:

4. kristin

kristin my dog > *

Nice pics :cool:

5. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

shit I would love to go there one day :cool: how long were you there and where do you even stay?

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

wow, gorgeous shots :cool:

and good pic selection

8. dano

dano OT Supporter

Same here, sweet picture. :bowdown:

How did you set up that trip?

9. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

awesome pictures. what gear did you use? ill be going to the other end of the globe in june (alaska) and plan on taking some awesome pictures like this.

10. motordavid

motordavid RetiredBum

Thanks for all the views & props, Gang...
    -The cams are not high tech: my 6 yr old Canon S50 for about half the shots and my more recent Konica-Minolta 5D with a couple of old film cam Sigma lenses: a 28-105 and a 17-35, which of course, act differently/less focal length on a dig cam. I shoot 1/3 to 1/2 f stop "under" a lot, bracketed like hell on the bergs and usually shot aperture initiated. Filled up a 3 512ks, a couple of 256ks and a 4 gig card. Edited the hell outta them and tossed them up on Flickr.
    -In hindsight I could have used a real tele, as the bird action was amazing, but hard to reach with a 105 that is effecitively a ~75...if you have a real tele, worth the lug to take it.
    -trip was booked through MV Discovery Cruises, though they are not making that exact "hard core" Antarctica trip again, but getting close:
    http://us.voyagesofdiscovery.com/voyage_calendar.php?area_id=34

I'm not pumping them; Nat Geo also does a close in trip like ours was, as do a few other ships. It is not dangerous, but not a caribbean cruise by any means. And, on the much smaller ships, it's like living on a tramp steamer.
    -Trip in a nutshell: we flew overnight from Miami to Buenos Aires, stayed in BA Sat and Sun night, flew from BA to Ushuaia, Tierra Del Fuego at the southern most tip of Argentina, boarded the ship MV Discovery, cruised east out of the Beagle Channel. Down past Cape Horn, and down the Dreaded Drake Passage for 700 miles to the tip of the Antarctic Peninsula and the surrounding South Shetland Islands.
    We had about 380 on board, plus crew. There were a dozen outstanding hard core polar scientists who gave lectures every day. We did 5 shore excursions and it was a fantastic, if a bit rugged, trip...and the getting there and back makes for long days. We did about 10 days chugging/putting around the coastlines of that area, then motored back to Ushuaia, then flew endlessly back to Miami from the bottom of Argentina. It was a 15 day trip, door to door and goes for about $9Gs per head no matter how one "does it" and that would be about the cheapest, unless one hitchhiked down to Usuhaia, lol!

-There is no "penny" on any penguin's head...no clue what that P is talking about. The penguins are described by species; we could observe but not harass or interfere. They have no fear of man, they are filthy as pigs unless they've just come from the sea and they are 2 trick pony's, lol!
    -I'd be glad to send orig/high rez pics to anyone but as I'm not yet a "paid" member, I know of no method to contact you, vice versa...maybe I'll "join"...

Thanks again for looking...
    Best Regards,
    Ol'UncMotor

11. Spurious

Spurious New Member

:ugh:

12. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

man, that is awesome. i'm extremely jealous.

I may have to look into this. That's definitely one place I -have- to see sometime.

13. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

9,000 for a trip...holy shit

14. Urinal Mint

Urinal Mint bourbon afficionado

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Thats something I will have to do before I die...

on the photography side of things though, your shadows and highlights all look really compressed, all the way throughout your gallery. You really might want to go back through your post processing and see where thats happening.

For example, in the shot you posted, your extremely blown out in the sky, and your blacks hit Dmax REALLY quick in the shadow areas in the foreground of the rocks.

There should definitely be detail in both of those areas. Based on your histogram, it really looks like its your post processing though, not your actual shot...

which is great news.....

16. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

That's what I said. :eek3: That's like 4 trips to Europe.

17. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

or a nice used car, or a 600 f/4..or 2 nikon d3's
    :eek3:

18. dano

dano OT Supporter

$9,000 isn't shit for the experience you get. It's not like Vegas or Disney, you do a trip like this once and it'll probably be the only time you ever do it so you might as well go all-out.

If you want to post the picture, you can upload it to any free web service, although I'm not sure which one would keep it the original size. I usually use www.tinypic.com for everything but it may shrink it. Give it a shot.

19. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

I guess. :ugh: But if I were going to shell out 9 g's for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I'd choose something other than a trip to Antarctica.

To each his own... :cool:

20. motordavid

motordavid RetiredBum

Jared, thanks for your constructive comments...I really don't have/do "post processing" other than my 5+ yr old Canon Zoom Browser program that lets me load, crop, slightly adj color/brightness, and send to docs file. Many of those pics were shot, bouncing on the deck in the swells, on my old Canon S50; nice cam in the day, but not on the same planet as the big Nikons and Canons many have today.

And, shade blind to top it off, :rofl:, but my comp skills are decent as I've been pushing the shutter button since my first Brownie, 50 years ago.

I will do some looking into my pics, but not sure how much I can do/undo, with the lack of Photoshop,
    et al.

As for the "$9Gs", there is Lil' competition in this area of travel, we didn't putt around a couple of Caribbean islands, the boat motored at full throttle for nearly 2000 miles, plus chugging around the Ant. Peninsula, there were less than 400 passengers, they weren't making 20% from slots, etc. Whether it is "good value" is in the eye of the traveler. I could name a lot of stuff I could buy for 9Gs a head; none of them were a trip to the Last Continent...different strokes. I was not boasting about the cost; one poster had inquired. Variety is good, imo, and life is flying right by.
    Best Regards,
    OlUncMtr

21. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

No problem David. It might be those adjustments that are doing it... Most 'contrast' adjustments have been known to squish the highlights and shadows just enough to hurt ya with things like that.

The antartic is definitely in the top 3 places I want to go next. Oddly enough, the Artic is also on that list... I guess I just wanna see an iceberg with my own eyes....

Anyway, thanks for the pics. I love em.

22. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

very :cool: pictures