MMA trip brazil.. what do you think

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SHORTSHIFTER, Jul 3, 2009.

1. SHORTSHIFTER

SHORTSHIFTER Old School Lurker

what do you guys think.. it is worth it?
    so my buddie runs this vacation/training travel group.. and now he is offering trips to brazil

what do you guys think.. it is worth it?

http://www.fighttravel.ca/FightTravel.ca/FT_Brazil_Home.html

We will be training at the Nova Uniao Academy headquarters. For those of you who don’t know, Nova Uniao is a leading international MMA organization, based in Brazil. Nova's leader, Andre Pedreneiras, is a fifth degree black belt under the late Carlson Gracie. Andre and Nova Uniao are responsible for giving black belts to fighters such as BJ Penn and Vitor Ribeiro. And for those of you who don’t know, UFC fighter Thales Leites trains here too. This is one of the best gyms in the world and you will all have the opportunity to train there daily. The academy is located at Academia Upper, a luxury fitness center with not only the MMA and BJJ training, but also full fitness facilities with steam, weights, cardio, pool, and fitness classes of all kinds.

Accomodation: We will strategically be staying at the Brothers Hostel in Botafogo Beach. It's just a short 7 min walk from the Nova Uniao Academy and is also just a generally wonderful place constantly filled with friendly Brazilians. Botafogo is a NON-tourist area, which means that its very safe and offers the experience of Rio life, without all of the other stuff that is generally found in very touristy areas. Brothers is right beside Botafogo beach and has a fantastic bar downstairs and 2 across the street that are packed almost every night of the week...=)

Price: $2500/person. This includes round trip airfare, accommodation, full gym membership, and all touring and activity fees.

The trip will will be 14 days and will take place during the first 2 weeks of November 2009. Between the training, touring and relaxing, you guys are in for one of the best experiences of your lives.

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

sounds awesome. If i was an intermediate BJJ and mma person and could miss work, i would go for it. Sounds awesome *IF* you think you are at the skill level to really benefit from such an excursion.

3. SHORTSHIFTER

my friend just came back... and he said i should be able to hold my own with the whites and most of teh blues... and i figure i have some time to get my skill level up to where it needs to be... he says his game got 10x better after being there for a month..

4. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

Do you get to hit big tires with sledge-hammers?

5. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Botafogo isn't a great "hang out" barrio but it's cool and close to Copa if you want to see some touristy shit. My trip will be 2 months for about $2000, so the price seems steep, but it's worth it not having to worry about buses and getting lost.

6. SHORTSHIFTER

ya thats what i was thinking ... i dont have to worry about getting around and setting stuff up, since everything is done for me...
    but still... 2000 for 2 months? was that with flight?

7. SHORTSHIFTER

that is extra.... i was told the gym will provide the tires but you have to bring your own sledge-hammer... but i think i'll rent one when i get there... i doubt one would fit in my luggage, prolly pretty cheap to rent too

8. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Flight 850
    Apt 2 Months (because of connections) 500
    Training Fees 2 Months 150
    Food 500
    Bus fare 300

Okay so a little more than that but that's about the breakdown.

9. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

Sound pretty cool. I hope I can find a friend who has been there before and go your route. I know I will love it there so 14 days may not be enough.