GUN Trigger jobs for the XD

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cantankerously, May 12, 2008.

1. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

What's out there?

I'm thinking of getting a thumbsafety XD45 or a used Glock 21. The Glock has an aftermarket thumb safety as well as a trigger job, springs, etc. I like the lighter trigger on the Glock, but like the XD as a whole moreso.

2. cantankerously

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I have not seen any trigger jobs that impressed me but I'm biased as a glock guy. The company I work for is getting glock triggers down to 1.5 to 2 lbs (depending on your slide to frame fit).

One girl who shoots with us (also one of the better XD shooters in So Cal) had a nicer trigger job done on her XD by a well known smith. Trigger eventually wore out and it would sometime AD when the slide was dropped. She got DQ'ed from a big match in AZ which really sucked. I got it on video she did not have her finger on the trigger, RO saw it, We all saw it, and I got it on video. She has since retired the XD and moved to a CZ sp01

4. cantankerously

:cool: info

I won't be doing any competition shooting with it. It will most likely get a Steamlight TLR-1 put on it and be used for home defense. I just want something to drop the pull down to around 4lbs.

5. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Could check with Robar, they do a lot of custom work on XD's.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

www.glockworx.com

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

I know Canyon Creek & Springer Precision both have excellent reputations for XD trigger work.

8. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

Springfield Armory's custom shop is pretty well regarded for their work. Personally, I'd rather start off with the factory safety available on the XD and go from there.

9. cantankerously

I'd be getting a thumb safety model XD.

10. Ticket Me

Ticket Me Active Member

why

11. cantankerously

Because thumb safety > no thumb safety

12. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

:rofl::ugh:

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Extra safeties are gay. Just more stuff to screw up. If you got a exposed hammer like a 1911 or CZ yes thumb safety is a must.

The XD is retarded with a trigger safety, grip safety, thumb safety, plus all the internal safeties. What is the friggin point. Add a loaded chamber indicator, firing pin cocked or whatever indicator, how much nonsense can you put on one pistol?

Just don't put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to put a hole in something. Treat the gun like it's always loaded.

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Don't forget the mag safety. You might shoot someone with out one of those!

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Mag safeties are so stupid.

At our pistol matches after your done shooting a stage you have to "unload and show clear, slide down, hammer down (or striker down), holster".

With a stupid mag safety you have to unload and show clear. Then you have to put an empty mag in the gun to drop the hammer or striker. then remove the empty mag. Every competitive shooter has the mag safety disabled. It just doesn't work, and it really much harder to check to make sure the gun is safe.

Stupid belt and suspenders. I personally feel when you put all these safety features on the gun people start depending on them instead of using good sense. Because my glock has only one external safety, and no loaded chamber indicator I never put my finger on the trigger unless I'm making a hole in something, and I always treat the gun like it's loaded because it always looks like it might be loaded.

16. Slick26

Mag safeties aren't "stupid", they just serve a specific purpose. One that really isn't needed by your average gun owner.
    It is, however, an excellent feature for police officers, and even soldiers in the military, for their sidearms.

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm not buying their usefulness for law enforcement or military. Which PD departments or military use a pistol with a mag safety or have such requirements.

I know the retarded S&W M&P has a mag safety but that does not mean it's a good feature for military or police. Mag safeties are for civilians to keep them from shooting something because they think the gun is empty because there is no mag in the gun. Again not a issue if you treat the gun like it's always damn loaded even when you know it's not. That means never pointing even an empty gun at something your not ready to make a hole in, and keeping you finger off even an empty gun until your ready to fire. Nope the mag safety is another belt and suspenders nonsense but unfortunately non shooter law makers probably think it's a good idea and they are going to make it a requirement in certain states.

For police or military I would want the ability to fire inbetween a mag change if nessasary.

18. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

bloated and top heavy

19. texchef

texchef Guest

I did my own trigger kit on my xd9 tac and could not be happier. I have no frame of reference for other pistols as to which is better but I couldn't be happier. www.xdguys.com

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've heard several stories of police who either potentially saved their lives by dumping the mag before it was taken or who were just being dumb and not being safe when cleaning and the mag safety saved them a ND. I really think the combination of a glock that requires a trigger pull to take down, and a cop that may not be a big gun person is a bad idea. On the flip side I've not been able to find 1 documented case of an officer being killed because his mag safety kept him from firing when he needed to.

Now that doesn't mean I want one but for some cases (dumb cops mostly) I think they might actually be good.

21. Slick26

Wait wait wait wait wait. WHAT?

I own an M&P, and it doesn't have a mag safety, so what the fuck are you getting at?

22. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

M&P has a optional mag safety. I just referenced it because somebody was going to say "but the M&P has a mag safety and it's for military and police". Second we are seeing them at the matches and many times they have the mag safety. Usually it's a new guy and they feel like a knob when 50 shooters tell them to take it to a smith to have the mag safety disabled throughout the day.

23. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

FWIW, one of the instructors I work with had an early M&P w/ the mag safety. It have several problems, to the point S&W switched it out for a non-mag safety gun and it's worked perfectly for thousands of rounds.

24. Slick26

:rofl: ok whatever.

25. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

I agree that all gun owners should respect the basic rules of gun handling, but a pistol match and defending your life are very different things. Carrying a 1911 with a 1 1/2lb trigger and a pinned grip safety might get better scores but is not really a good setup for daily carry. Use the tool that is the most appropriate for the job at hand.