A&P Tried to get some action shots of my dog playing fetch

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 93POSFord, Sep 8, 2008.

1. 93POSFord

93POSFord Lurking Member

My wife and I took our dog, Duke, to the park the other day. I got several good shots, but some of the ones that I really liked came out a little blurry.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I think I might need a new lens to cut down the blurriness. I just got the camera (40D) in July and I'm still using the kit lens (28-135mm f/3.5-5.6). I tried to keep the shutter speed as fast as possible, but it just wasn't fast enough. Perhaps something with a wider aperture would be better?

Feedback?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ibholylurker :hs:

2. mojito

mojito New Member

you need a higher shutter speed. without exif, its hard to say, but form the looks of it you should have raised your ISO

3. 93POSFord

93POSFord Lurking Member

Most were shot at ISO 800. I shot in aperture priority to keep the lens as wide open as possible. In hindsight, maybe shutter priority would have been better? Shutter speed was in the neighborhood of 1/160 - 1/250. I figured that if I went much faster they would have been underexposed.

I'm still learning, so thanks for the feedback. The park isn't far away, so maybe I'll try again next weekend.

4. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

1/160-1/250 is fast enough with 800iso and f3.5. Try panning next time

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Holy lurker batman!

Yeah as people said, bump up the ISO a bit and you can get a faster shutter speed. If I was shooting I would've gone to the widest aperture in aperture priority, and then bumped up my ISO until my meter was reading about 1/250 or 1/500

6. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

why such a high ISO outdoors?

Personally, I like the bluriness, it is the out of focus I dont like

1) a combonation of motion blur and that the camera focused on the dogs hip

2)shoulder looks to be the focal point. Foot blur would have been better with more blur, I think

3)I like this shot. My only C&C is that the camera exposed for the bright background and the image of the dog suffered because of it

4) I would just get rid of this shot. It really is not interesting.

5) groin is in focus??

6) I am glad Idont look like a tennis ball. I love this shot!! I would not change a thing

7) outside of the amputated foot, it looks fine

7. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

For those shots I know its not as fun, but the cameras sport mode would have probably done what you were looking for. I've used that mode at my corp softball game on a 40D and I was able to stop the ball enough to see the threads after it left the bat.

I like the motion blur of the dog though. Gives the shots more life.

Evan

8. 93POSFord

93POSFord Lurking Member

Thanks for the feedback! :bigthumb:

I think I tend to agree that a little bit of blurring in the right spots gives a feeling of motion/life, but I think part of my frustration stems from the fact that some of the better pictures were blurred in the wrong spots - how DID the groin stay in focus?! :rofl: I guess I need to practice smoother/more accurate panning to fix that.

9. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

it stayed in focus cause you focus the on the face and so that imaginary plan got focused on. Then the dog ran toward you and the face moved forward out of focus and the hind of the dog that was previously out of the focus are moved into it. This stems from camera not focusing fast enough or shutter not firing fast enough. With the dog coming toward you like that, it is a tough shot to focus since you cant pan forward

10. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

Do you by chance have AF Servo turned on? If not do so...

And turn off all 9 points of AF, if you're doing rule of thirds when composing then turn on just an area in the area you want the camera to focus to, such as pic one, having af point on one of the upper right points may have worked better, but is not going to guarantee that it did anything different

I actually use this lens quite a bit more than I thought I would, its a decent lens but you have to learn its quirks and downfalls really quick to be able to save motion shots :)

You can push your * button while the dog is centered depending on metering, and the camera will adjust for the darkness of the dog rather than for the brightness of the background, if that makes any sense...

For instance, to create a sillhouette i found it easier to point to the sunset, push * then take a photo of the couple I was photographing, turned out marvelous :)

11. ¤

¤ New Member

For moving object tracking/panning, use AI Servo focusing mode.
    See page 77 of your 40D manual.

12. 93POSFord

93POSFord Lurking Member

I did have AI Servo turned on, but I also left all 9 AF points on. I'll have to take him back to the park and try again.

13. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

right there is your problem. You let the camera decide what to focus on and it chose something different than you wanted

14. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

This was helpful for me :o
    Thanks.

* button?

15. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Question. Do you have to have it set on MF to have to be able to select specific AF point? :confused:

16. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

[​IMG]

middle thumb button on back panel (between AF on and Zoom/AF point select).

No, on the 20d/30d/40d push the Zoom + or af select button (right hand thumb button) and the selected point will be lit in red, you can then use the big wheel in the back, or the finger wheel near the shutter button to select your single point, or all points). then just push shutter button half way to select

on XXD series (XT, XTI, XSI, rebel)
    I believe its the same.

I dont have the nikon near me to check what theirs is, as I dont use it very often but the girl does... (what a happy life :o )