GUN Tried out a Kimber today, is this my fault?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deadmeat, Feb 26, 2007.

1. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Went to the range because I'm about to make my first weapons purchase and I want to make sure I'm happy with what I get. Whatever I get is probably going to have a 10/22 to sit in the safe with and probably a .22 conversion kit for plinking if only because I'm kind of cheap sometimes.

I should have paid closer attention, this is my fault but I'm 99% sure it was a CDP II. I don't think I would be getting this one anyhow though, but it feels nice. When it shoots.

Here's my problem. The last few mags I shot mis fed the first round out of the magazine when I released the slide. Got stuck, so I had to eject the round. The last mag got stuck every other round. I gave up on it, took it back to the counter, and one of their guys went and shot it. Then proceeded to tell me I wasn't holding it right. He actually said my wrist was too limp, too relaxed.

I've never had this problem before, with any other weapon other than rounds that failed to fire, including shooting in the military.

Could this just have been because it was a filthy range beater?

2. Grouch

Grouch Guest

limp wristing can cause problems.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

wierd. I dont see why all of a sudden you would be limpwristing something. Though if one of their guys got it to cycle just fine, then maybe you were just tired or something :dunno:

4. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Does it soak up the energy the slide would be using to run home or something?

that makes sense I guess. How come it's never happened to me before? I shot an old 1911 that didn't do that...

And it didn't happen with the Sig I traded for.

5. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:dunno: Most likely it was the gun, but limp wristing is a legitimate possibility.

6. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

I shall endeavor to a firmer grip. Thanks. I was also kind of making sure the range guy wasn't making fun of me. I'm not unfamiliar, but by no stretch an expert on this stuff.

7. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Also could be weak mag springs.

8. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

The gun was probably dirtier than hell, Kimber's don't do well when they are dirty.

Oh and you also have :greddy:

9. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Some of the higher end 1911's are real tight frame to rail wise so they tend to have more problems with feeding. Trading functionality for accuracy.
    But it is most likely just a dirty rental.

10. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Ok, I really liked the Kimber aside from the feed problems that startled the shit out of me. As far as owning it, I just have to make sure it's clean, use proper ammo, and keep it in good repair.

And, of course :wackit: with the other arm for a while to get my grip up.

Is there something more reliable I should be looking ar other than a revolver. or will proper maintanance and grip be good? I don't want to find out I'm wrong when the zombies come.

11. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Dood get a Colt. Same price as a Kimber (or slightly less) and you have the real deal. My Gov't model has never had a FTF/FTE except for a few of my early handloads and several with the cheap-o Remington UMC ammo.

(Note: I'm not saying Kimbers suck, just that I haven't heard about issues like these with Colts, but I have with Kimbers.)

12. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

It's a range gun
    It's a 1911
    It's not a 5"
    It's probably been shot to shit with little maintenance
    It's probably got shitty mag springs
    It's probably run dry as a bone

13. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Funny you mention that. The Kimber and the Sig both looked really dry. The Sig was actually grossly dirty or was actually starting to rust at the front immediately below the slide. I was pretty grossed out by how nasty all their guns were there. I'm pretty anal retentive about cleaning as it is, but these had all kinds of shit outside - I can only imagine how nasty they were inside. Until I get my own, that is.

14. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

its probably the mags. the rental kimber i shot was a pos, dirty as all fuck. the two i bought havent had a single FTF or FTE, although these shitty ass 8 rd chip mccormik mags i have dont like to feed the hollowpoints. i havent test fired yet though.

the two kimbers i BOUGHT have been great, and maintained very well(1 new 1 used in perfect shape)

15. Platinum_Thunder

you can run them dirty and wet, or clean and dry.

16. Platinum_Thunder

If it's in perfect shape it hasn't been used enough.

17. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Rental guns always have problems. They are the equivalent of test driving a hertz rental car. When I bought my first 1911 I was guided away from the Kimber by the sales guy and pushed toward a springfield. He said the springfield would be less problematic b/c it wasn't as tight as far as tolerances go and could be cleaned a little less often. I never had so many ftf with a gun in my life. I called springfield and they wanted me to try different mags, polish the feed ramp..blah blah before sending it in. I tried all different ammo and finally returned it for a Kimber Grand Raptor. I have not had a problem yet. 1911's require frequent cleaning, but I clean all my guns after firing them. Anyway, i guess my point is, you can't base the guns performance ftf/jamming etc on a range gun. They are beat and not well maintained. If you get a 1911 get something decent like a Colt, upper level springfield, or Kimber. I regret going with the milspec, even though I'm comparing it with a gun that costs 2x the price. Or you can get a milspec and upgrade it with some wilson combat parts to make it a really nice piece.

18. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

yep. it probably had less then 200 rounds through it. all contact parts were like new. ive put about 300 through it though. my .45 has about 100 through it, and its not getting anymore.

19. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Thanks for all the information. I think I'm going to keep looking at the Kimbers - I clean after every outing, so maintenance is not a problem.

20. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

its not a Glock, you can't expect much

21. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1911 > glock as far as accuracy goes. reliability, glock > *

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

depends on the shooter

23. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

wanna put your money where your mouth is? :nono:

24. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i already have. my two 1911's shoot much tigher then my glock. i would never cary a 1911 though. only the glock.

25. no7fish

no7fish New Member

limp wristing can be a big deal but the recoil springs in shorter 1911's seem to be a little finnicky. I upgraded mine and have never had a loading problem but I would occassionally before. I think it could have been fixed with nicer mags but the spring solved the issue cheaper than replacing all my mags. I can imagine that after tons of shooting as a rental that the spring would be pretty fluffy in that thing.