Triathlon Training v.need help.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GinnyS, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GinnyS

GinnyS New Member

Hey Guys,

So I need some help. I am determined to get back into shape better than I have ever been, and I'm hoping someone can help me with a workout routine. I have set a goal to complete an olympic distance triathlon (1500m swim, 40km bike and 10km run) this June, with a short distance tri (825 yd swim, 12mi bike and 3mi run) in March as a mid-point. I have done both of these before, but with the olympic i basically wanted to die while completeing it. I want to be able to feel good about this one I do in June. So what I'm looking for is some help with a routine, before I would just go out and swim, run, bike whenever I could and I know that is not good enough. I rock climb twice a week at the gym, but I know I need to incorporate more weight training with the cardio. Can anyone help me formulate a workout plan that will help me achieve this goal.

things to know, running is the worst for me, I have trouble running (med-fast) a mile straight out. I love cycling and could do that all day. I like swimming but am not fast. Also, I have a fairly busy schedule, so can't plan like 4 hour workouts each day. Thanks for any help!!

Note: I have a good diet down, that much i'm happy about, i'm a healthy eater and know what to add when I start working to help benefit the exercise...i just need help getting good amounts of each that will let me make my goals successfully.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  2. Hebrew Hammer

Hebrew Hammer Resident Jew goalie OT Supporter

you need to do each every day. bike to the gym, run and swim there, and bike back. will save on some time.

3. jessb20hatch

jessb20hatch Let's bang like Myosin & Actin

My lab partner who compete in an olympic level triathalon would bike to school and back everyday plus run sometime durning the day between classes..rain, snow, didn't matter. Her only prob is she overtrained and had to deal with a couple injuries. I personally don't have experience with this but I know lifting (lifting more for indurance, not like a 5x5) would be beneficial but then you need to find a good balance so you don't overtrain. Next time I see her I'll ask her for her comments.

4. GinnyS

GinnyS New Member

thanks guys so far. i have some basic outlines i got from online, i just didn't know if anyone here does these and has some helpful advice.

i do know that i don't have to do everything everyday, that would be bad, but that brick workouts (doing two or all three) are important...plus i live like one minute bike ride from the gym so that wouldn't even count. :)

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

HIIT has been shown to help improve cardio more than cardio... It's also shorter, so you'll be able to do it more often. Recent studies are saying that it might not be for how long you can exercise that matters as far as health goes but how intense.

6. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

my brother is an elite level triathlon coach for the AIS and VIS here in aus, he competed in the cancun world championships... etc.. he wrote this programme for me when I was going to run a shortcourse tri for fun.

maybe you can use this as a basis for your training?

uploaded it here: http://download.yousendit.com/639D806018411225

its a .xls format spreadsheet

it was written for an 8 week leadup to the event, but im sure if you can understand it you can see the patterns etc and get something out of it :dunno:

7. GinnyS

GinnyS New Member

awesome thanks! i'll bet i can figure it out.

8. niners

niners OT Supporter

I'm in a very similar situation, where I've been training primarily for sprint distance triathlons. I bike to work 3 days a week and run to work twice a week . Since the most linear distance from work to my apartment is 4 miles, I planned out a separate route to take when biking, thus making the trip a little over 12 miles. I do this twice a day since I do the same thing when going home, but since I work an 8-hour day there is lots of time in-between and I've grown accustomed to it. I also don't do these trips at race-pace, mostly I take it at a liesurely pace.

As for swimming and lifting weights, I swim fridays and sundays, and lift mondays/wednesdays/fridays. saturdays and sundays are pretty much rest days since swimming isn't the most taxing on your body, and I don't lift a finger on saturdays.

Diet-wise, I eat breakfast as soon as I hit work, which is usually several pieces of toast with 2 eggs and protein shakes. Lunch is standard, dinner is standard, and again load up on protein and fruits/carbs an hour or two before bed.

That's my schedule anyhow, I haven't experienced any fatigue from overtraining and I always keep myself protected, using warming lubricants on knee joints especially when running or biking early in the mornings. It's been about 12 weeks that I've been using this schedule and I'll mix it up here and there, take the bus some days and rest, etc, but for the most part it works for me. Hope this helps.

9. xcrnr

xcrnr New Member

I am doing some Tri's for the first time next year but I have been running for a while and you do not want to do speed work for running especially for a three mile race. Build a solid base running about 40 miles a week before you start to break down your running. In long distance events like these it is not your all out speed that matters it is what speed you can hold onto for 3 miles. Alot of people can run under a 5 min. mile but how many can run under 15 min. 3 mile? Some tempo training is very helpful ex. 6 by 1200 on the track with a 400m recovery once a week the other days just go out and run a comfortable pace for 7-10 miles

10. lostboy

lostboy ?

some good posts here, though I disagree with avoiding speed work for running, especially if you have to optimize time for training. A three mile race is a sprint, or should be if you want to actually race it and not just be a participant. I run a bunch, or rather, I did until a massive ankle sprain a month before my last marathon; can't skip Boston for something silly like an inability to walk right? I bike commute to work which is 3 miles if I don't stretch it (or if I'm late). Pretty much I treat that ride as an interval workout between lights, mostly high intensity and while I literally only ran about a dozen times from April to October, was still able to get into the 1:20's in a half marathon in October that I ran ultra conservatively for the first 3/4ths. The ankle still aches. Yes I'm an idiot.

Basically, if your route to work is under 50 miles, ride the bike. If you are going to the gym, bike over and swim when you get there. You live in AZ, there's little excuse to do otherwise (not saying that you aren't doing stuff, just bitter that it was 20 something degrees and slushy here this AM). In my opinion (that of someone who hasn't done a tri, but everyone says should) an olympic tri is made up of three sprints, and only one of them is an impact event. If I was to train for one I would train like a miler for the run, bike a bunch of intervals and use swim days as recovery/warmups/cooldowns. Meaning some days biking or running to the pool, swimming then going running or biking afterwords. I'm sure you can and have found more detailed plans online, but why not add my silly ideas :)

11. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

holy endruo-weeni lurkers out of nowhere :eek3:

I ran a half marathon once and said fuck that noise.....

12. GinnyS

GinnyS New Member

this is awesome...i'm putting together my plan this week and starting next (school finishes this week, so the stress will be relieved, thank god).

The olympic is June 2nd up in Show-low, anyone in the area who's interested should totally do it. It will be my second olympic and if I can keep to a routine I will finish it so much better than I did the first ( ireally should not have done the first...i was so not ready for it). anyways, if you wanted info....its http://www.trisportsracing.com/

13. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

One thing you might want to consider for swimming is doing pyramids of 25m and 75m sets (1 set, rest, 2 sets, rest, etc.. up to 10 or more and back down). Don't forget to keep up with all the strokes, not just freestyle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.