Treo 700w - XV6700 - IPaq

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dominion, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

As far as PDA phones go, which would be the best choice?

I'd be using basically the todo lists, calendar, no internet or e-mail (unless through wi-fi), some med apps (epocrates mainly), office apps, pdf and lit readers. Not all at once of course.

From what I've read the 700w is a Great phone and an ok PDA and the 6700 is a great pda but an ok phone. On the same note, all of the service techs where I work have the vx6700 and they complain about them alot. Overheating issues, flimsy, break very easily with medium use, crashes, etc. But they are using the beta version of the phone (company is too cheap to buy em from verizon now that they've been released and aren't a gift to test :p

Of all the devices, they all fit nicely in my hand so I don't have any problem wih that, it really boils down to the technical stats of the phone. Will it be able to rn what I want and still be a decent phone.

As far as carrier goes, I am going to go with whoever ahs the greatest coverage in the area which puts Verizon first and Cingular second. the 6700 is only offered in Sprint and Verizon if I'm not mistaken so verizon is really the only option to me.

A side note, does all of Verizons phones have the obex profile disabled or just the moto phones (bought a v710 based on the BT only to find out obex was gone) Does cingular do this as well?

2. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

Cingular doesn't usually limit their phone's profiles. At least so far.

I have the Cingular 8125 (w/ new QTek rom) and I'm really enjoying it. Good for PDA stuff, and a good phone too. Call quality is up there, along with the dialing interface.

I had a Treo 650 through Cingular and I hated that thing. Too low of volume (without VolumeCare), crashed MANY times on me, just overall frustrating. Now, the 700w is based on Windows, so it may be different, but I'm staying away from Palm phones right now.

3. Dominion

I like that phone, a bit nice to me than the 6700. Do you know the mfgr? Looks like like an HP.

4. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

The Cingular 8125 is made by a Taiwanese company called HTC. They are re-branded by many companies, like Dopod, O2, I-Mate, etc.

There are a few threads in this gadget section about the 8125.

5. mysteryman

mysteryman OT Supporter

I highly recommend that you consider the Samsung SCH-i730 that Verizon Wireless is offering. I love it and have turned many previous Tero lovers on to it. I love the Ev-DO as well.

6. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

The treo continues to have problems from Palm's lack of quality control from what I hear. My Treo 650 was no good in that regard.

The 700w suffers from two things: low ram (32mb vs the standard 64mb) and the square screen. However, it is GREAT as a phone.

I'd look into getting the xv6700 from verizon - evdo, wifi, bt, etc. Anything crippled by VZW can be undone via some simple registry hacks. Check out www.howardforums.com, www.ppc6700users.com, www.pdaphonehome.com, www.treocentral.com, www.xda-developers.com for more info.

I have the 8125 and personally love it. I have convinced many people on OT to get a version (6700, MDA) and the majority have fallen in love w/ em.

7. Dominion

By the end of today I'll be buying either the 700w or the i730 from Best Buy (I work here so I can get a discount on the service AND the phone) OF those two, which should I go for, I had the 700w in my hand for awhile and I liked it alot. Seemed to do what I wanted, how does the i730 feel in your hand? I guess if I don't like the i730 I can always exchange for the 700w.

8. mysteryman

mysteryman OT Supporter

i730 FTW

9. Dominion

Still cant decide if I want to buy one and a plan or just the device itself. My plan is paid up to this December, so I could add the device to the plan, but I could always get a new plan and get thep hone MUCH cheaper.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  10. Dominion

Ended up not buying anything today but did put in an order for the 700w, seems we don't carry the i730, so gonna get it on discount for the 700w, have 3 days to play with it. IF I dont like it I'll just take it back and go get a i730. Gonna try and get to a Verizon Store tommarrow to try that one out.

11. NicBolas

NicBolas New Member

I have an i730 and absolutely love it. You won't be disappointed

12. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

i have an i730 i'm going to put on ebay soon if you are interested PM me...

i just upgraded to a 700w an ilove it!