Treo 650 and Sony Ericson W600

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by snoozeallday, Sep 30, 2006.

1. snoozeallday

snoozeallday OT Supporter

A guy I know has 1 of each of these for sale. I know nothing about buying used phones, sooo some info would be nice.. lets see.

I have a cingular phone (razr), and these are both cingular. I assume I can take my sim card out of my current phone and use it in both of these?

--

I really like how the SK3 works.. w/ the internet and AIM etc. I know the treo can browse the web but can you get on AIM w/ it?

One more..

If these phones do have web browsing / AIM, how does that work w/ my current cell phone plan?

Will I need to contact cingular and have them change all my stuff?

2. shiba

shiba Active Member

Its just a simple matter of popping in the sim card and turning on your phone. There is no need to notify your provider. I use to switch between multiple phones from day to day because of this.

In order to websurf with any provider, you would need to add in a data plan to your current plan. These vary from $10- $30 depending on how much you need. I suggest you go with the unlimited plan because you will tend to use this feature a lot. The treo can get Aim, but you would have to install the program.

Also one thing i should mention is that with the treo, you have to be a little careful carrying it around in your pocket, because it is pretty easy to have the sim card accidentally pop out and drop onto the floor. Only a minor annoyance buy still worthy of mentioning.

Finally I suggest you switch to a diferent provider because IMO Cingular has the worst reception out there. The can advertise the lowest dropped calls simply because they also have the least connected calls. By the end of my 2 year contract, I had close to 8000 rollover minutes due to lack of service, lack of connected calls, and short call times due to terrible reception. This is in New york BTW.

Maybe its just my luck....

3. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

treo will give you a better web browsing experience and more apps. Basically it will be more productive. The w600 is a great phone though, just make sure its not one of the ones with the backing out screw problem (hinge screws back out and it falls in two pieces).

Yes, your SIM will fit all sims are the same size

4. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

It all depends on how much and how you use your phone. How often do you turn it off? Most people do not turn their phones off, this can cause some IRDB and other SIM downloads not push to the card. That said, your issues may have been also related to your equipment. I'll agree NY probably isn't out strongest area but you should not have nearly as bad as issue as you describe.

also, the PDA plan for the treo is 39.99/mo
    For the w600, 19.99 but you'll be limited to WAP sites (feature of the phone, not the plan)

5. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

If you're buying a used Treo check the audio port in it. They are fragile as hell, and when I bought mine used only one channel worked. The 650's are notorious for this.

Other than that, I love mine, and would only change it for a 680, or even better, 700p.

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I haven't really read the posts other than the orignal, but I can assure you that all you do is swap sim cards. Also, the w600i is a great phone, the only downside being it only has 256MB of internal memory, and no expansion slot. Otherwise its badass. The swivel mechanism is awesome, but try and get the reciept because SE is really good about repairs as long as you have the reciept.

Also, from cingular I get unlimited internet and 200 text messages a month for 20 bucks. I don't text that much so its no big deal, and if I go over its 10 cents to send and 5 cents to recieve.

To get arround the WAP sites only, download Opera Mini, free download thats a full html browser for your phone. You'll love it, and it'll work on any phone with Java programs (the w600i included, also it'll work on the Razr if you want to give it a try. Open the built in browser, go to google.com and search for opera mini. Click on the first link and follow the instructions.

Finally, the service thing is all depending on where you live. i get great service where I live on cingular, but T-mobile is shit here. Also, Sprint isn't too great here, but Verizion is decent.

7. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

The W600's screen will give you the white screen of death while the Treo650's bluetooth will make you think something is wrong with life...so yeah overall I'm not too pleased with both of them but if I had to choose, the W600 would win. Then again I have an HP 6945. :big grin:

bye4now12 is right about the browsing. The W600 has an AIM client built in...your AIM msgs count as text msgs so watch out. Cingular doesn't have an unlimited msging plan so watch out.

... otherwise unlock either one of the phones and use it with T-Mobile. :big grin:

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Shit, if you're going to T-mobile do yourself a favor and get a nicer phone. w800i is the candy bar version of the w600, but with a removeable memory slot and better camera (the w600i is only 1.3 MP I think). They'll go for cheap on ebay and come bundled with a 1 gb memory card or so, you can buy a 2 gb memory stick online for around 60ish and in stores for 75.