treadmill vs. actual running

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by arseclown, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arseclown

arseclown Guest

is there a difference in results/workout between actual running/jogging and doing so on a treadmill?

2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

treadmill = no wind resistance, softer floor. :dunno:

3. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Easier on the knees/ankles. I always find it harder to do actual running rather than treadmill running, whether that is to do with wind (Which really just cools me) or more to do with having to pace myself I'm not sure. On a treadmill I find it easy to go for 30 mins at a quick pace, takes much more effort just running around my area.

4. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Here is what I found when I used to run (running mainly for the military from 1996 until 2004):

Good: Treadmill-
    Soft running surface, set incline any time you want, place to set your water bottle, often attractive women within 10ft of you.
    Outside-
    Nice breeze to keep you cool, changing scenery to combat boredom, great to learn the local area when you first move in, cheap (e.g. buy shoes and run, no gym membership and no expensive equipment needed).

Bad: Treadmill-
    More difficult if you want to do any type of sprints or intervals, if you are heavy and run fast they break unless it is a hvy duty commercial gym unit, expensive, no breeze = sweat city, too easy to become distracted looking at the numbers and "pretty lights" on the control panel.
    Outside-
    Have to find a hill and you can't control how steep the hill is (I feel silly driving to a place with the right hill just to run...I should have run there!), If it is cold and you dress warm - 1/4 of the way into your run you will want to shed clothing or be sweat soaked, hard on feet/knees/shins unless you find a track (local high schools are good for this), more difficult to track distance & time (unless you buy a nifty GPS watch).

Either way buy a good pair of shoes often as this will save you much pain on the feet/shins/knees in the long run. Running on worn down shoes is pretty rough on the lower legs (or worse - in boots as we had to do on occassion in the military).

5. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

i prefer to run outside (when I do run, which is never).

it's easier for me to look at a point, tell myself i have to get there, then find another point and keep doing it. i get too distracted by the time and lights on the treadmills. plus, I feel that asphalt is softer than a treadmill. i dont run on concrete.

6. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

:werd:

running outdoors is awesome.

7. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

yep. i just see a lightpole, tell myself to get there, then find another point and tell myself to get there.. keep on keepin' on.

8. Hood Moses

Hood Moses I part the Black Seas...

I hate running on treadmills, hurts my legs more than anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.