TRD - more than just shocks?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by aeroflyre, Jul 17, 2006.

1. aeroflyre

aeroflyre New Member

I'm not talking about upgraded seats, graphics, or tires/wheels. I'm talking strictly suspension. Does TRD suspension have anything different other than the Bilstein shocks? Does anyone know? Is there a website that shows those specifics? The dealer sales rep knew very little. He also did not know the difference between the "drop hitch" installed and an actual tow package...

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Are we talking Tacoma or Tundra.

Doesn't matter, I know both :o

For Tundra, the TRD package adds Bilstein shocks. They are yellow base with a blue hard-plastic boot. They are a mono-tube, nitrogen filled shock. They are installed front and rear. They are a little stiffer than the stock Tokiko/KYB shocks. You also get a progressive-rate coil spring. No other drivetrain changes occur. It is a common misconception that it adds a Limited Slip Differential. This is incorrect. The LSD is a sepearate $300 option. You can get the TRD package without the LSD, and you can get the LSD without the TRD package.

There are two TRD packages available for the Tacoma. One is the Sport, and the other is the Off-Road. Both get the yellow/blue Bilstein shocks. Both get the progressive-rate coil springs. The Sport gets a new hood with a faux hood-scoop. The Sport also gets a Limited Slip Differential. The Off-Road keeps the standard hood, but adds an electronic locking differential in the rear.

3. aeroflyre

aeroflyre New Member

Thanks for the info.
    That helps.

4. Wckd2

Wckd2 OT Supporter

What years are those on?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Tundra is valid for all years (2000-2006)

Tacoma is valid for 2005-2006.

If you're interested in 1995-2004 Tacoma:

TRD Package is available only in "Off-Road" variation. Includes lower rear-end gearing, 4.10 to be exact. Also includes electronic locking rear differential. Progressive coil springs, as well.

Regular and Extended cab models get yellow/blue Bilstein shocks.

Double Cab models get blue Tokiko shocks.

The Bilstein is a better performing shock, imo, but the Tokiko has a higher damper rate that is a better match for the heavier Double Cab.

6. aeroflyre

aeroflyre New Member

Does anyone know when the 07 Taco will be released? If it is going to be a month, I might as well wait.

Are there any changes to be expected when it is released?

I currently can only find info about the 07 Tundra.

Thanks.

7. Wckd2

Wckd2 OT Supporter

It'll probably drop Labor day weekend...

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It'll come soon, but no changes worth mentioning.

Still completely over-priced.

9. aeroflyre

aeroflyre New Member

Agreed. I really don't even need a new truck. A used one would suit me. If mine was a 4x4, I'd probably be tempted to rebuild it. Since it is not, I was completely happy looking for an 02-04 dbl cab 4x4 TRD, but the resale is crazy on those things too if you look for less than 45K mileage. I might as well go 4x2 on a new. I figure it should last me 15 years as I currently drive an '89 xtra cab V6 that I bought in '97 with 80k on the odometer. It now reads 244K. So, I've really been pleased with Toyota. I was going to wait until 250k before replacing, but I've decided to pass it on to my brother while it still has some life left in it as a third vehicle to tow his little boat.