GUN Traveling to IL from MI

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dano, Dec 4, 2008.

1. dano

dano OT Supporter

I'm likely going to Chicago for NYE. I've got my CPL here in Michigan, and I'm 99% positive Illinois does not honor it, but would I be allowed to open carry there?

2. bursty

bursty New Member

Nope, IL sucks wang. No concealed or open carry.

3. dano

dano OT Supporter

Damn you Senator Obama :mamoru:

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You can't even have your handgun in chicago.

South of there we're pretty much cool with anything but don't bring it to chicago.

5. dano

dano OT Supporter

That's a decent drive, with a stint through Gary, IN, so you better believe I'm bringing it with me.

I'll just have to leave it at my buddy's place once I'm there.

If I rip the magazine out and toss it in the glovebox and put the gun in a case in the trunk, will that be legal for driving around inside IL borders?

6. bursty

bursty New Member

Yes, just not in Chicago.

7. dano

dano OT Supporter

So wait, Chicago has its OWN gun laws as a city? :ugh:

8. striker754

striker754 Chillin

If he's just traveling through then he can.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The only state law you need to follow is that it needs to be unloaded and in a totally enclosed gun case.

Cities and counties in the chicago do have some stricter laws, you can find most of them here http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm and even then be warned that is somewhat out of date.

Illinois has home rule, cities and counties can make their own laws that are more strict than state laws. Chicago, cook county, and a few other surrounding cities have gun control laws that are far more strict than the rest of the state.

If his destination is somewhere that his guns are legal, he legally can. That of course doesn't mean you still won't wind up in jail.

10. dano

dano OT Supporter

What seems redundant is you can't have the gun, but the gun and ammunition have to be out of the driver's reach, but next to each other in another compartment. So you have to put the gun and ammo right next to each other in the trunk, where's it easy to just go grab real quick.

11. bursty

bursty New Member

Mags can be loaded, just not in the gun obviously. When I lived in IL, I kept my P99 with two loaded mags in a small zip-up case under my seat. This is the statute for transporting firearms in IL

(i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state;

or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,

firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container

Notice the OR between each of those. You only need to satisfy one of them.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

As bursty said the ISP's with the out of reach component is old and no longer part of state law. State law lets me drive with a gun and a loaded mag in a case right next to me. Again though local laws might require that they be out of reach if you're in the crappy chicago area.